Rising damp from cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victorian terrace Got a bit of rising damp on wall between kitchen and lounge (internal wall) below is a vaulted cellar that runs on this wall about half the width of the house cellar isnt really damp what are my options for treating the damp or is hacking off treating and re rendering the best course to take and can i do anything in the cellar to stop recurrence

Sponsored Links
If the cellars not really damp, and the rising damp is on an internal wall above the cellar, then where is the damp rising from. What is the wall resting on. If it's a vaulted ceiling, the is it a brick roof, in which case the whole ceiling would have to be damp.

I wonder if there's a water pipe on this wall, for example supplying a radiator.

Does the wall in question go all the way through the property to roof?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys theres no pipework on wall and it doesnt go all the way through to roof it tends to dry out through summer and damp reoccurs through the wetter months.not sure whats the on the other side of cellar wall floor in lounge is asphalt if that helps any

so there is a solid floor on the other side of the cellar wall?

I's suspect a leaking pipe or drain under the floor.

Where does your incoming watermain pipe go?

Some photos of the cellar would be interesting.

the filled-in floor might have been filled in after something went wrong with the original wooden floor. Or do all you neighbours have asphalt in the back?

Who has diagnosed rising damp, as opposed to any other possible damp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back