Rising Damp on a retaining wall of an old cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is causing a real headache for me, i have a retaining wall that has rising damp, the cottage was built on a spring and has no foundations (1754) the external walls are brick and lime,the internal wall seems to be some type of concrete although i'm not sure what is behind that ( brick and lime maybe), however when the wall was plastered some years ago, it was plastered in a normal plaster, this has generally fallen off due to the damp, I have taken this plaster off down to the bare concrete.I am in the process of drying the wall out and then to get some prevention and then re-covered. I am happy for a temporary measure at the moment as the whole house needs all the walls stripping and redoing correctly as the original plasterer did not use a lime based plaster when doing about 12 years ago.
My question please
1, should i paint with pva and then replaster with lime based plaster, artex, suggestions please.Is there another way i need to tackle this, I have thought about plasterboard , but I'm worried this might simply trap the damp behind it.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask how you know the house is built on a spring ? Was this perhaps a comment from someone in the damp-proofing industry as I have read this is frequently used by them ?

Logically I find it unlikely that an old house would be built on a spring . Our ancestors had much greater awareness of the soil than we do, the builder would have been local ( maybe the oriinal owner ), and any spring would, of course, have ben valuable in its own right. ?

if its rising damp i would cure ats ource.injecting a damp course.you can hire the kits these days to reduce the cost.then do the walls,after drying them out.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask how you know the house is built on a spring ? Was this perhaps a comment from someone in the damp-proofing industry as I have read this is frequently used by them ?

Logically I find it unlikely that an old house would be built on a spring . Our ancestors had much greater awareness of the soil than we do, the builder would have been local ( maybe the oriinal owner ), and any spring would, of course, have ben valuable in its own right. ?

I think the house could have been built on a spring as it's name is pump cottage and it used to provide water to the village.The soil is clay and i am in Lincolnshire, I do agree that our ancestors seem to know where to build as my house and a few other old houses are the only ones that don't get flooded . thanks for your comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back