Whether to dry line, add dpc or even just redo lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a 150 year old cottage, (originally 4 v small cottages) It is made up of solid sandstone walls. In the living room we have gutted it which involved removing all of the very old fibre board which was placed on battening. This has revealed lime plaster on all of the walls. Three of the wals have very flaky but dry lime plaster which we have removed before it fell off. The rear wall which on the exterior has the ground level 3 feet up it still has the lime plaster on it but seems a tad damp in one corner.

I am unsure what to do to the walls, on the back wall I was thinking of drylining it by placing battening slightly off the wall and then adding insulation then a vapour plasterboard. I was then going to add some vents in the bottom to still allow air circulation.

On the other walls, one is in good order so was thinking to leave it with the stone showing as it is an internal wall but the other two remaining walls was to render it or should I just redo the lime plaster or something else

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back