Preparing an internal granite wall for lime render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice as to how to prepare an internal granite wall for lime plaster.

I have cleared off the old plaster that almost fell off as soon as I looked at it. In the joints there appears to be a dry mud that can easily be rubbed out. I assume I need to prepare the surface so that the new lime plaster bonds well.

I was considering using a nail gun to clean out the joints and to clean the granite quoins that I want to leave exposed. Is this a good idea?

Some also suggested I PVA the wall with a watered down solution. I'd imagine that this would seal the wall which would defeat the object of using lime render. Is this right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know if granite has any special properties, but i found that a lime mix ( hydraulic lime 1/sand 3 1/2 ) stuck very well to my walls and i just wetted them.

I was considering using a nail gun to clean out the joints and to clean the granite quoins that I want to leave exposed. Is this a good idea

I don't understand. This makes as much sense as saying I was going to use my computer-screen to clean the joints. Nail-guns fire nails to fix things together not clean stone.

I don't know if granite has any special properties, but i found that a lime mix ( hydraulic lime 1/sand 3 1/2 ) stuck very well to my walls and i just wetted them.

I was considering using a nail gun to clean out the joints and to clean the granite quoins that I want to leave exposed. Is this a good idea

I don't understand. This makes as much sense as saying I was going to use my computer-screen to clean the joints. Nail-guns fire nails to fix things together not clean stone.
Perhaps he means a needle gun?

Sponsored Links
Give your walls a good wet down the day before you want to plaster to rinse off the dust and damping the mortar between the stones,
then before you plaster just give the wall a light mist to damping the stone, don't have your lime mortar to stiff it needs to be soft
and fatty, its better to fill out a deep bit with two or more layers of soft mortar than push in stiff mortar that will not bond properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back