Rising Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house and the home buyers survey identified high levels of moisture in the living room. I thought this was probably due to condensation (there is no radiator in the room and no air brick). But having removed the wallpaper I have found what I (as a novice to these issues) would describe as a black tide mark about 30 cms up an internal wall and under this tide mark a patch that is damp and stick to touch. Also one of the external walls has a similar damp patch (but no black mark).
In addition, the floor boards seem a little odd- i.e. when you walk across the floor they bounce- closer inspection would suggest they are no longer secured to the joists.
I am calling in some rising damp 'experts' next week but am acutely aware that I might be 'ripped' off and that the house may require no work at all- other than say a radiator and a few air bricks.
What do others think? Has anyone else had similar issues with a house? What should I be wary of 'experts' saying?

Sponsored Links
Hi , be wary of the experts breathing...let alone speaking...need more info please.Age of house? Earth or concrete oversite(under the floor) Any Damp course visible outside .solid or cavity wall. soil etc 2 course below damp course. Good luck. Be out when they call :eek:

Now I feel even more nervous!
The house is 70 yrs old. There is no visible sign of a damp proof course outside. They are solid walls. The walls are enclosed by concrete outside.

Ask your question here .

When you said the walls are enclosed by concrete, what do you mean. Is it rendered?

We have a 130 year old house and these rising damp bastards came round and sold us a load of pointless work which didn't fix the problem. The cure was ventilation.

Rising damp doesn't exist, there may be a real cause, and you need to find it.

Sponsored Links
Don`t worry unduly...just Beware the experts...get quotes and find a good local builder...a good way to get to know neighbours who`ve had work done.,ask....Most people are pleased to tell about their home improvements :) ..

I'm not sure what I meant by concrete to walls but they are not rendered. I think I was trying to respond to a question about what is under the floor boards- and I'm not sure, it looks like earth, but could be concrete.

Had one expert around this morning. He seemed reasonable and suggested that most of the problems were due to poor ventilation but that I do have rising damp on three walls and is going to quote me for these. Surely I need to find out what is causing the damp??? :confused:

Oh Dear...Experts v.Cynics :) ..OK.I still go with your thoughts about air bricks...you should be able to see them outside...walk round and see how many...and size of the room...better still a sketch plan posted here of the floor layout of house ground floor.....haven`t got a clue how to put it on computer myself :LOL: And a picture of outside walls ?

Can you post a picture or two of the damp? if you can't do it yourself, you can email it to (I think) admin and they will help.

when was the house built :?:
has anyone looked under the floor boards in the area :?:
is it brick walls :?:

is the rain water pipe, soil pipe or gutter leaking, :?: (go out and have a look during the next downpour)

or loft cistern overflowing, or old underground water supply pipe leaking or maybe even the drains have failed and are partially blocked and leaking in the area :?:

I'm working on getting some photos of the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back