Risk of leaks on a combi conversion?

Call me old school but, if you have a working vented system (other than the boiler), fed by a header tank, why change to a pressurised combi boiler system? The possibility of leaks with a pressurised system and old radiators and pipes might be small but is not negligible, and pressurised systems seem to have far more maintenance issues than vented ones - illustrated by a number of postings on this forum. I'm also not clear what the advantages of a pressurised system are that outweigh its disadvantages.
Just replace the boiler if it's life expired and stick with your current reliable system!

Sponsored Links
With the greatest of respect- if you pressure test and it leaks how are you any better off. In 25 years I've only had 2 maybe 3 significant issues.
Because any leaks found during testing would mean that any work could be performed at the time and caught quickly. I always pressure test any system being converted from open vent, to me it's just good practice and believe shows a level of professionalism and customer service, especially if they have raised it as a concern that the system was that old.

How many customers are going to pay you you to prove they have a leak prior - zero
I wouldn't charge any extra to perform a pressure test like that, would be a natural part of that kind of job. So easy to do as part of the upgrade work and then the only additional expense would be for the repair work that may be needed and any parts required. Much prefer to find a leak at that point than get a call back.

In 25 years I've only had 2 maybe 3 significant issues
Lucky chap @ 1 or 2, I wish, found a lot more than that in my time where the system won't hold. Not sure what significant issue means though, any system I work on that won't hold pressure, to me, is an issue and needs to be fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back