how do I find the leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved to a house that has a Ferroli 25c optimax condensing combi boiler that is losing pressure from 1.5 bar to 1 bar over several days. The pressure rises to approx 2bar whilst heating is on and the prv has been replaced in recent months after filling loop accidentally left open.
Most floors are tiled / concrete with concealed pipework below but absolutely no sign of a water leak anywhere.
I have tried leak sealer with minimal effect.
In addition the heated towel rail in the bathroom needs bleeding regularly - is the system letting in air? and does anyone have any idea how to try and pinpoint where the leak could be?
Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
could be creating hydrogen and bein released through the aav, could be the heat exchanger leaking and draining through the condensate, could be a leak under the floor..

daft question but ya not bleedin the towel rail then noticing a drop in sys pressure?

Thanks for the reply. I have topped up the pressure each time after bleeding.
How can I rule out the scenarios you gave before having to get someone round with thermal imaging to look for a leak under the floor?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is make sure it is not on the actual boiler.. pressure boiler up then turn the CH isolating valves off for a day and use hot water as normal and see if pressure still drops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back