rivets why?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are rivets used to fasten gable rakes, sidewall flashing, and ridge caps? Would not self tapping screws be easier?

Sponsored Links
there is a reason why UK builders and roofers on this UK site are not able to help.

Check your "country" and flag in your profile, as displayed to the left of your posts. There is more than one country in the world beginning with a "U"

5 miles inland from the west coast central FLORIDA.

paulmars
Thanks Received: 0
clear.png
< - - - - - - do you know what this is?

(clue: It is not the flag of Ukraine or the United Arab Emirates)

England last had a significant hurricane in 1703, though there was also some wind in 1986.

I think the answer to your question is speed.....electric or pneumatic riveters can be very quick to use - one handed too.
They also pull the two metal sections together and can't over tighten, stripping any threads. They are also neater.
John :)

Sponsored Links
there is a reason why UK builders and roofers on this UK site are not able to help.

Check your "country" and flag in your profile, as displayed to the left of your posts. There is more than one country in the world beginning with a "U"

If you dont like reading threads by foreigners, then you might want to find a UK only forum. This forum allowed me to register and post questions. Some of which have been satisfactorily answered.

Paul, you are most welcome here! Most of us will help when we can.
Back to your original post.....self tapping screws may encourage corrosion within roof panels because of their cutting action- most panels being steel, but maybe plastic coated or otherwise plated. Rivets minimise this, having no turning action, and their swelling action once secured may reduce water penetration. Their larger head allows rubber or plastic washers to be used too and naturally enough they don't need any re tightening.
Of course, if rivets are used they do have a degree of permanency but are easily drilled out if need be.
John :)

If you dont like reading threads by foreigners

I don't mind reading threads by foreigners, but our building practices, weather, regulations, terminology and materials are very different here. Our houses don't have rivetted roofs.

We have provision for members to indicate what country they are in. That's why the little flag is shown. If you change yours people will understand why your questions are unusual.

If I wanted advice on a single-phase, 240v, 50Hz electrical fitting, I would not ask on a US site.

My reply, you mean...
If you dont like reading threads by foreigners

I found the question puzzling until I looked round and found his thread asking for advice on a hurricane-resistant roof.

I have no problem with international posters, but it is certainly helpful that they generally indicate where they are. That's what the little flags are for.

Last edited:
If I wanted advice on a single-phase, 240v, 50Hz electrical fitting, I would not ask on a US site.

If your ele. fitting question was not a matter of codes, but you were just looking for opinions from some maybe knowledgeable people and you posted your question to 7 electrical sites, but hey you found an 8th in the States. might you not post there too? Likewise if some months later you had another question, might you not post there again?

pa

you mean, without indicating that I was not in the US, so they assumed a different voltage and design system? And used different terminology? And a different sort of cable and protective devices? And didn't even measure in the same units? And suggested parts or techniques that are unavailable in my country? They would be wasting their time trying to help me if I mis-identified the country I was in.

My objection is to you using the wrong national identifier.

This international banter is truly rivetting !

riveting = completely engrossing; compelling.
"the book is a riveting account of the legendary freedom fighter"

this should work

if you click on your name, in the personal summary box to the left of any of your posts, it should bring up a panel where you can click "profile page"

If you hover on your name near the top right, a drop-down list will appear. Click "Personal Details" and a page where you can edit your details will come up. About half way down you can choose your Country. You can also input your occupation, interests, birthday if you like, but is not necessary. The countries are in alphabetical order, except that the countries most often used appear at the top.

This will cause the national flag of your country to appear against your posts.

A few countries that have not been accessed before may not have flags loaded yet, but this can be fixed if it occurs.

If your screen dialogue is different, please say. I don't know if it varies by app or browser.

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back