Rj11 broadband connections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the exam question:

I have a BT master socket with broadband face plate. However I need the router slightly further away.

I would therefore like to install an rj11 faceplate where I want the router. And connect it to the designed AB connections dedicated for this.

How do I wire it up? I know I use the center 2 connections on the rj11. But which way round?

Sponsored Links
A goes to 3.
B goes to 4.

I don't think the polarity matters nowadays, there no guarantee that your incoming line is the correct polarity in the first place!!

edited, because I had it backwards!

Last edited:
Thank you.

Where did that nice diagram go?

I will check it before use.

Yeah I notice phones use the outer connectors.

Last edited:
Where did that nice diagram go?

It was a bad one showing the front of the connector, i.e. they had the numbers going the wrong way, so I removed it.

Checking the cable shouldn't really matter actually, I assume you'll just be re-using the original RJ11 to RJ11 lead that you already have, which could well already be a crossover lead, but will of course be 'correct' if that's what the router wants.

Sponsored Links
Well I'm happy that the router cables I have looked at are consistent. EE / Sky / Netgear

The RJ11 outlets don't appear to have a standard though! for routers.

Having measured 3 micro filters and 1 face plate there does not appear to be a standard method.

Obviously all use the middle 2 pins. (routers)

@AndyPRK , sorry, I had them backwards. I have edited the reply earlier.

It had been bugging me as to whether I had remembered it correctly, so I checked earlier with a Mk2 faceplate and A is definitely 3 for an RJ11. They show continuity, as does B and 4 of course.

bt adsl to rj11.jpg

I was confused because the colour code changes from BT's A & B colours, to the CAT5e style 'swapping the centre pins over'!

Even more confusing that the Mk2 and Mk4 ADSL plate will also accept an 8P8C connector. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back