Rj11 to bt

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to put two ends to RJ11 I do have ends and the tool.the cable is cat 5.but don't know the number or the colours I need to use.One end will be for the Router and the other end with the adaptor will go to BT.thanking in advance.

Sponsored Links
if it's an RJ11 to RJ11 cable you want to make to connect a router to a BT ADSL socket, take the CAT5 and use two twisted pairs, I typically use the orange and blue. Just ensure that the pins match up, so blue on pin 1, orange pin2, orange/white pin 3 blue/ white pin4.

If you're trying to do a BT crimp to RJ11, same thing again, ensure the pins match up - if I remember right the BT crimp has an odd way of numbering its pins so just check you're using the right ones, but you will again want to use the twisted pairs. Blue is typically for voice, and orange is typically for your bell circuit.

if it's an RJ11 to RJ11 cable you want to make to connect a router to a BT ADSL socket, take the CAT5 and use two twisted pairs, I typically use the orange and blue. Just ensure that the pins match up, so blue on pin 1, orange pin2, orange/white pin 3 blue/ white pin4.

If you're trying to do a BT crimp to RJ11, same thing again, ensure the pins match up - if I remember right the BT crimp has an odd way of numbering its pins so just check you're using the right ones, but you will again want to use the twisted pairs. Blue is typically for voice, and orange is typically for your bell circuit.

RJ11 is only one pair anyway..

Sponsored Links

I know it is, but I have found that on BT router a 2 pair rj11 gives better results - the home hubs have the ability to use all 4 pins in a rj11

I know it is, but I have found that on BT router a 2 pair rj11 gives better results - the home hubs have the ability to use all 4 pins in a rj11

That'd be RJ14.. Except not, really, because that's two lines.

And what the hell does a Failhub need a ring wire for? (really, I'm curious how they've broken the design)

All they really need is a swift bash with a sledgehammer.

That's nonsense! They need one pair, and that's it!

That's nonsense! They need one pair, and that's it!

Nonsense or not, the homehub has 4 pins in its RJ11 socket - I created a lead with 2 pairs instead of one and I noticed a marked improvement in my connection speed. It was the same type of cable as had been fitted, the only difference was number of pins, and it was an instant marked increase in connection speed. So call it nonsense if you want, but I'm sticking with it, as I have seen it work for me.

Nonsense or not, the homehub has 4 pins in its RJ11 socket

So it has a 6P4C socket.. have you looked inside? Presence of contact != use of contact.

I created a lead with 2 pairs instead of one and I noticed a marked improvement in my connection speed. It was the same type of cable as had been fitted, the only difference was number of pins, and it was an instant marked increase in connection speed. So call it nonsense if you want, but I'm sticking with it, as I have seen it work for me.

I will call it nonsense, because I know how phones are wired. Nothing you've done or said rules out a faulty cable in the firstplace, or a simple placebo effect.

And here I was thinking we had someone with insight as to the design of these awful devices.

So it has a 6P4C socket.. have you looked inside? Presence of contact != use of contact.

I created a lead with 2 pairs instead of one and I noticed a marked improvement in my connection speed. It was the same type of cable as had been fitted, the only difference was number of pins, and it was an instant marked increase in connection speed. So call it nonsense if you want, but I'm sticking with it, as I have seen it work for me.

I will call it nonsense, because I know how phones are wired. Nothing you've done or said rules out a faulty cable in the firstplace, or a simple placebo effect.

That's fine, but last time I checked speedtest.net telling me there is a significant measurable difference in before and after speeds isn't a placebo effect

That's fine, but last time I checked speedtest.net telling me there is a significant measurable difference in before and after speeds isn't a placebo effect

Put your old 1-pair cable back on. Do a speed test. Put your 2-pair cable on. Do a speed test. Put a brand new 1-pair cable on. Do a speed test. You have not ruled out a faulty cable, you have not ruled out the original cable not being properly inserted, you have not ruled out upstream work by BT. You have no evidence of anything, just your assertion that it somehow uses an extra pair which doesn't even exist upstream.

Better yet, open the device and look at how it's connected.

There is NO WAY it would increase the speed!

Look at the micro filters they supply - I bet they only have TWO pins in use on both the BT 631a plug and the RJ11! Indeed, even the flat lead they supply is usually only a two core.

And don't use speedtest.net to check speeds after altering wiring - There are too many variables in doing so - Your test data could go different directions each time, could be aggregated etc.

Log into your router, and look at the line sync speed and the line stats. Use THAT as your baseline for testing.

There is NO WAY it would increase the speed!

Look at the micro filters they supply - I bet they only have TWO pins in use on both the BT 631a plug and the RJ11! Indeed, even the flat lead they supply is usually only a two core.

And don't use speedtest.net to check speeds after altering wiring - There are too many variables in doing so - Your test data could go different directions each time, could be aggregated etc.

Log into your router, and look at the line sync speed and the line stats. Use THAT as your baseline for testing.

Alright alright. I realise I'm getting shot down here for saying something I found worked. Regardless of wether or not the second pair is used, it can do no harm to have it there, the wire doesn't magically loose the physical pairs if you don't crimp them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back