ro filter connected up to american fridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ro 5 stage water filter (bought originally for the marine fish tank, but has a t piece going to the sink tap) , in the near future i shall be getting an american fridge with ice making facility/water etc..

Obviously the fridge has to be plumbed up to the mains.

Can it be plumbed up to a ro water filter?

The ro water filter (rated at 50gallon) has a 3 or 4 gallon pressurized tank and also a presurized pump attached so water filling should not be an issue.

What connector do i need to get the ro cabling attached to the fridge (or are they all different?)

is their a John Guest type connector i can use?

the reason im thinking of using the ro water filter is mainly 1 i got it so im using it, 2 i heard some filters are expensive in the american fridges.
thanks in advance
nick

Sponsored Links
Yes the piping should be the same as that which comes with the rediculous monster you are buying.

Only you have to replace most of the many filters in the reverse osmosis unit every 6 months and others every year, it will cost you a lot more to run. It is however an excellent form of filtration, far superior to the standard one with the stupidly big but uggly space hogging monster fridges that are so popular these days.

Nick how much flow do you get from your RO?, I have a 50 gpd but with no booster pump and in this weather I get about 12 gallons a day realistically.

The one I fitted for a client has an potable expansion vessel so it would easily keep up with the demands of a fat laizy american refridgerator user.

Sponsored Links
I've only ever used mine for my reef tank, general advice has always been there is no health benefit to drinking ro water as everything has been taken out ,especially after running through a di resin unit aswell.

Thanks for hte quick replies.

For the ro unit and replacing the filters, yes im aware, but i have to replace these anyway every year. I would rather replace the ro filters than having to replace the ro filters and the fridge filter (from a quick google they are expensive some up to £40, possibly more)

As for how much flow i get from my ro unit, i have no idea. When im doing top ups on the marine tank, i flick the switch under the sink (and then the water starts to flow into the di filter and then under the floor boards and into the garage and into my sump tank in the garage) after 5 minutes i flick the switch off, and then you hear the pump clicking away topping up the water in the presurrised tank under the sink)

Would you believe I have just yesterday stuck a claw hammer through my freezer pipes while defrosting it....I now have the exact same problem as the op as I too am going to buy a stupidly big but uggly space hogging monster fridge.

One of worst jobs i ever done for the board was to change the entire absorbtion unit burner etc on a gas fridge leaving just the cabinet took most of the day just splitting it, waste of time and money should have just gave them a new one. Good job i had a gas radio to listen to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back