Rogue Traders

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This is roughly what happens.

Some guy who has been ripped off calls Rogue Traders and gives them his sob story, Rogue Traders then set up an identical fault/situation and call the rip off merchant to come repair/fit it.

So yes its a "stage" but it only because the camera were not there to catch the original event.

Did you not watch the bit with the guy with fish tank? Or the posh bitch that handed over £200 for someone to drill out a yale barrel?

You on the same page WDIK?

I would look at the light switch first, As the woman did say 'it went off when I used the switch, you have to start somewhere.

But Im not an electrician

I thought it was stupid to cut the wire, looks like sabotage to me. I would have made the wire loose. I was more interested in the GAS guys, they were ****ing stupid motherfuckers.

What I suspect happened was that the electrician discovered the warm kettle, so to make it more amusing for the TV show, they later filmed a little insert of the presenter with his cup of coffee to "explain it".

I agree the cut wire looked suspicious though.

It's one of those annoying programmes - could be very interesting but they can't help going for the dumbed-down lowest-common-denominator angle with the camp biker subplot etc... :rolleyes:

Weird how that company kept charging exactly the same figure no matter what the job... I wonder if they have adjusted to take into account the VAT cut now. :D

Could that figure be part of a tax scam?
always having the same amount, get to declare them all the same bill?

i couldn't believe it took the fat bloke about 20 minutes to take the case off the vaillant boiler, it's one of the simplest cases to remove!! i'm sure he even turned up with a vaillant bowl to catch the water when he changed the 'coil', genius that bloke!!

Well, my mum was nearly a victim of a rogue trader recently.

She couldn't get her CH to come on. ( Ferroli Modena 80E ). She called out an engineer ( recommended ) who came round, took a look and said it was possibly sludge in the system and it would need a powerflush.The same guy powerflushed the system 9 months ago. ( £220 )
Also, there was a problem with her shower. When turning on the supply tap water just trickled out. For this he recommended replacing the whole unit ( thermostatic) at a cost of £180+VAT. This doesn't include flushing the system and any repair on the boiler.

I decided to drive down and take a look myself. The boiler was in 'summer setting' so I just simply turned the dial to ' winter' setting and hey presto - nice hot rads!
Secondly, i removed shower valve, replaced a washer and all works fine!

This guy was due to come back to the house next Tuesday - no doubt with a bill for around £500.
What gets my goat is that he has been fully booked up all week and into next and no doubt ripping off other pensioners.

People like this make my blood boil.

I saw this prog last night ( recorded it ages ago ). Is it right that you need to be a corgi to simply take the cover off the boiler ? what about say an electrician replacing the timer ?

Pete

Comustion chamber cover not boiler cover. An electrician doesn't need to go in there ( CCC) to change a timer.

Why anyone who isn't qualified in some way would go in there is,frankly,beyond me. There are some boilers ( Positive fanned)that could potentionally kill you if you open up the cumbustion cover and only someone familiar with these boilers should open them up.

tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back