Roller blind, lintel, pink grip

dpo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to attach a roller blind outside of the window recess. I was hoping it would be straightforward but.
Drilling into the lintel is a no-go.
I was going to drill into the ceiling, but I can't get the drill in close enough against the wall
I attempted attaching plank of wood to wall with pink grip, but turns out one part of the wall is not even and the plank doesn't stay up.
What can I use to support the grip while it's curing? I can't put in nails or screws.
And is Sticks Like Sh*t better than Pink Grip? And how can I get this pink **** off the wall now??!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about a concrete lintel. If yes, a SDS drill will suffice. That said if you are using a cheap SDS bit, and hit a reinforcing bar, the bit may lose its tip. The four flute drill bits, eg Makita Nemesis will go through the reinforcing bar.

Photos will help.

I don't have anything to take a photo of now! I have an SDS drill and Bosch drill bits. Walls are brick. At the very top where wall meets ceiling I was able to drill to required depth, but it was at an angle and I wasn't happy about that so I tried 3 different places lower and couldn't get deep enough. So I filled in the holes and thought of plan B and C.
Place has been a rental for years and not been well looked after and those areas where people might have put up curtains have probably been drilled and filled over and over. All of the windows have recess vertical blinds and I'm guessing it's because of lintel trouble!

Grip adhesives such as Pink Grip won't hold anything subjected to being pulled, like a blind. In fact, even if you can glue stuff to the wall, any wallpaper or paint on the wall is likely to be a point at which failure occurs. Some modern polymer grip adhesives will remove chunks of gypsum if they are pulled off the wall, but then plaster (gypsum) isn't really that strong. So you ideally need a mechanical fixing

You might want to consider fixing a timber pattress (say a length of planed 2 x 1in softwood) to the wall using multiple smaller fixings combined with a grip adhesive on the back, and attachingbyour blind to that. That way any load is spread across a larger number of fixings and a greater area

BTW Pink Grip is horrible stuff to get off, and in any case it isn't a particularly good grip adhesive

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I should have come here first. The piece of wood I have is 20 x 70mm. I was going to stick it where wall meets ceiling. When it fell off, I thought, well I will have to put in some screws underneath to hold it till it cures. But right at that point, 70mm down from the ceiling, it seems to be metal. I only tried it with my hammer drill, as I don't have any drill bits under 5mm for the SDS drill.

If it is metal, another technique you can use is to pilot drill it using a cobalt HSS (also called HSS-G or M42 HSS steel) twist drill and then secure a timber pattress (batten) using self drilling screws, such as these. Bear in mind that you lose about 10mm of the screw length for that point and that a 5.5mm screw will require a 4.8 to 5mm pilot hole (yes, I know that they are supposed to be self drilling, but I assure you you'll break a lot less if you pre-pilot)

SFX example given as it was easy to find - local engineer's merchants will often sell these items singly or in 10s, so worth enquiring

More than one way to skin, etc...

Thanks, so a cobalt HSS twist drill bit on my SDS drill will go through whatever?

Need to be used in a conventional 3-jaw chuck - so if all you have is an SDS drill you may need to consider a drill/driver, or a 3-jaw chuck and an SDS adaptor

I have a hammer drill with chuck, and an old Makita cordless percussion drill driver. Sounds like I know about drills, but I really don't.
I thought this pink grip turned white, but it still looks like blood smeared on the wall

I thought this pink grip turned white, but it still looks like blood smeared on the wall
It eventually (after years) turns light brown. It can be ruddy difficult to remove

From what I remember, you get normal Pinkgrip, comes in a cardboard tube.
And Pinkgrip White, which is solvent free, and comes in a plastic tube.

I'm feeling very foolish, I should have found a handyperson

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back