Roller blind too wide for recesses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So my roller blind won't fit into my bedroom window recess.
Apart from mounting it on front of the Window is it possible to cut the blinds down with a hack saw?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is but I doubt you will get the factory finish it currently has. Why not just buy some made to measure blinds?

Sponsored Links
your picture is not very good, but the way to do it is to pull off the fitting that is pushed into the end of the tube, cut the tube and the fabric, then push the fitting back.

Cut the end away from the pull-cord to avoid fraying when the cord or chain rubs on your cut edge.

Many roller blinds are intended for trimming, if you can remove the cap on the end the blind should slide out allowing trimming with scissors very carefully and then reassembled, the pole should be cut to size and the blind should sit back at the shoulders by 5mm each side to prevent fouling.[so when measuring to cut blind cut pole first to ensure a fit before trimming blind to width less 10mm over all to sit back from pole ends.]

Thanks for your help everyone this is something I have been putting off for over a year. My dad originally fitted the blind to the outside of the window frame when it should have been fitted in the inside. It only took me all day to do this but Im very proud of my self!

To date I have cut back fabric roller blinds, oversized wooden slat blinds and cheapo Ikea metal slat blinds.

Each of them is doable but the wooden slat ones are the most time consuming. I use a 32tpi blade in my Nobex. I then use the same blade to cut the metal at the top, but you do need to make some wooden wedges to prevent the risk of buckling the metal, the same is tru f the Ikea metal slat blinds- however they do provide a rubbish guillotine for the slats.

How much too big was it? I shaved the end caps on mine for a tighter fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back