Roller Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just after a bit of advice regarding sizing before ordering a roller garage door.

For info, it will be back/behind mounted - not reveal mounted.

Height wise, no problems, however

I've measured up and found that the opening is not perfect (are they ever?). Its +/- about 10mm on the vertical on both sides. The lintel is level, the floor is level, but the sides have a bit of variation due to rough brickwork and not being perfectly plumb. Its about 10mm over 2.4m

My question is regarding the width to order. Is there any reason not to order a door that is 20mm too wide, therefore taking all of the issues out of the equation. I don't know if this will impact the operation. Otherwise I will just order as per their recommendations when I call on Monday.

Thanks in advance

Dallypro

Sponsored Links
Too wide?? No way you will trim it down, Square the sides up with tapered timber strips if you have to. here will be a tiny bit of sideways play but very little. give them the dimensions and let them advise.(y)

If it's mounted on the rear face, rather than within the opening, then of course you can order a tad wide to make sure you cover the opening at the widest point. However, the thing to think about is that a small part of the frame will be visible, and if this is a contrasting colour you may end up with a wedge showing from say 10-20mm which may be obvious.

The trick will be to allow as much of the frame to show as possible while still leaving the appropriate width for the frame and fixings - if the exposed part of the frame goes from 0-10mm the discrepancy will show up a lot. If 30-40mm say, not so much.

Get the installation drawings from the website of your supplier to check details.

My question is regarding the width to order. Is there any reason not to order a door that is 20mm too wide, therefore taking all of the issues out of the equation. I don't know if this will impact the operation. Otherwise I will just order as per their recommendations when I call on Monday.

If it will fit in the width available, including the runners, then no problem at all. Be sure you make it clear to the supplier, what the supplied measurements are of, when ordering, so there are no mistakes - maybe a drawing.

Are you fitting this yourself?

Sponsored Links
Just an aside, I had 3 quotes for a new garage door , in 2020 , I wanted to have roller rather than 2 up overs we already had and because we were in a very windy area and the garage doors did get a lot of wind, the companies knew the area and my location is about 0.5Km from sea with no high buildings in the way. they ALL said that a roller would not be very good for my installation ,, even though the rollers would give them 2 doors to replace , instead of 1 and more income/revenue - even with the large or small slates sizes, it would make no difference - it would just rattle badly and eventually would fail.
As i say that was 3 local independant companies , 1 of which fitted the existing up/over door and also later electrified it, none of them wanted to fit roller

I wanted to have roller rather than 2 up overs we already had and because we were in a very windy area and the garage doors did get a lot of wind, the companies knew the area and my location is about 0.5Km from sea with no high buildings in the way. they ALL said that a roller would not be very good for my installation ,

It also depends on the width of the door and to some extent the height. I installed my remote, electric roller around 12 years ago and have no issues, despite it facing the predominant winds direction and my drive being an open wind tunnel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back