Ronan Point

If I could fit gas central heating instead of oil I would, we all know the electrical demand is going to be huge if replacing oil and gas use, so likely will only be new builds.

But I was wrong to react, had the same with radio and non licenced people seemed to enjoy winding people up, and we knew correct action was to switch off, but so tempting to tell them what we thought.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I jumped in with both feet, it annoyed me that a so called electrician was trying to push the use of gas for cooking.

We use to say now we are cooking on gas, meaning doing it fast, and to be fair the old contact cooking which needed ground base pans, and slightest bit of coke left on hot plate would slow everything up.

However things have moved on, today the electric hob and oven use far less energy to gas, and the main advantage is a cooler kitchen, since gas is cheaper there is no real cost advantage, but naked flame is never really safe. Be it a candle or cooker. However I was wrong to bring up Ronan Point to try an make a point, sorry.
No need to be or feel sorry, I think you raised a valid discussion point.

We don't have a gas cooker but if I'm honest I'd go back to a gas hob at the drop of hat. My daughter moved a year ago and now has a gas AGA, the moment I did some cooking there I went straight back to the joy of 1992 when I last used a gas hob. Admittedly I don't believe I've tried an induction hob but I hardly cook anyway so my input is of little relevance.

No need to be or feel sorry, I think you raised a valid discussion point.

We don't have a gas cooker but if I'm honest I'd go back to a gas hob at the drop of hat. My daughter moved a year ago and now has a gas AGA, the moment I did some cooking there I went straight back to the joy of 1992 when I last used a gas hob. Admittedly I don't believe I've tried an induction hob but I hardly cook anyway so my input is of little relevance.

Pro kitchens prettymuch all use gas hobs

And thinking about it my daughter rented a low rise flat for a couple of years and I'm convincing myself she had a gas hob there too.

I used to live in a ground floor flat in a low rise block and there was gas pipework going to most if not all of the flats. My flat had a gas boiler and from looking at gas pipework I believe it previously also had a gas cooker (though it had an electric cooker when I was in it).

Sponsored Links
I was out last night and went past a block of flats about 8 stories high. I've driven past this building at least weekly since 1994 and never noticed the big yellow vertical pipes before, or the wide selection of different makes of boiler flues.

And this was a low rise developement of blocks of 9 flats over 3 floors: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/gas-bonding.505196/

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back