UK housing stock

Sponsored Links
No, they're not the same thing!

I am saying new builds are not for me.

But there are plenty who do buy them.

What's disappointing when it comes to many new houses (although not all) is the finished quality of the actual house and the postage stamp plot it's put on. I was brought up in a council house and also lived in an ex council house later on. Well constructed houses, decent sized rooms and decent plot sizes. Yeah yeah I know, land costs x times more these days, growing population and so on, however it doesn't alter the facts re older vs newer housing stock.

I read an article a few months back re a council that was buying back ex council stock then demolishing it so they could build new houses and cram more onto the land.

Progress ...

He didn't say don't build them.

I wouldn't touch anything built post 1960s.

Spent enough time in the industry to see appalling standards in modern house building.

Absolutely shocking.
At least someone understands the real problem!

Sponsored Links
Working in new builds all the time. They’re excellent ...... At parting the young and materialistic from their money.
complete junk .

New builds are shocking.

Housing association property's are a better build because of more checks and less back handers

Very wise. Can't wait to hear your solution to the housing crisis with no, 'new builds'.
There is no shortage of old, empty buildings all over the country that could be converted to residential use.
Yeah yeah I know, land costs x times more these days,
I would ban house building on virgin land if there was an empty factory, shop, mill, office or any sort of empty building within x miles. Existing buildings already have infrastructure, services and roads. New buildings require all these to be built anew at the cost of the beauty of England.

It's a population crisis, too many people.

That's correct you extreme, far-far right, extreme right wing extremist. We are losing our land to all the foreigners the government is importing.

In Holland there are currently protests going on, unreported by our media, by farmers against the Dutch government. That government is imposing measures on farmers that will put many of them out of business, and it is seen by some as a way of clearing people from rural land so it can be used for immigrant housing. A modern version of the Highland Clearances.

Mark Steyn talks to Eva Vlaaardingerbroek about it. (Isn't she lovely?)

There is no shortage of old, empty buildings all over the country that could be converted to residential use.

I would ban house building on virgin land if there was an empty factory, shop, mill, office or any sort of empty building within x miles. Existing buildings already have infrastructure, services and roads. New buildings require all these to be built anew at the cost of the beauty of England.
The latest tory wheeze is apparently to 'free up'/hand over government land* to developers in the hope that they will build cheaper homes...

More profits of course for their party donors, but then many people seem resigned to rampant corruption and prefer to blame foreigners for all their problems...

One solution of course would be to free up government land* and allow properly regulated local authorities to build affordable rented accommodation...

We could even come up with a name for such dwellings - council houses!

Affordable rents as opposed to extortionate private/slumlord rates, and keep well built housing stock as a public asset...

Never gonna happen of course!

* the government owns no land, we own it. But hardly anyone seems to care about that anymore!

More profits of course for their party donors, but then many people seem resigned to rampant corruption and prefer to blame foreigners for all their problems...

If we were a life boat that was full you could not blame those in the water for wanting to grab a side

It's not blaming foreigners, the fact is we are a small country that is full.

'Brown land' has been popular amongst residential developers ever since crap pubs and factories were invented. What gives you the impression that developers don't use brown land? Planning has a big say in what can be turned over to housing and what must remain business etc. Decisions are based upon amenity etc.

Sponsored Links
Back