Climate Refugees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we all know, the climate emergency debate rages on. Regardless of our individual views on whether the stuff we're told is accurate, possibly accurate or complete bulls**t, if even some of this comes to pass, there are significant changes ahead.

One such potential change is to the number of climate refugees that will seek refuge in other countries over coming decades due to their homelands becoming increasingly uninhabitable. If the predictions around this are even close, the numbers are staggering.

This was discussed during a recent tv political debate held in Scotland. One of the panelists has written a book on this very subject. Her view was an interesting one. She asserts countries like Scotland (and the other UK nations) should be strategising about this now with a view to essentially building entirely new towns to house whatever % of these people find their way to Scotland (and the wider UK.)

This got me thinking. I wonder if people who are pro migration would support such a strategy? For example, I am pro people coming into the country that follow correct procedures and will contribute. However if I'm being honest, I'm not sure what my views would be if the Scottish Government announced e.g. a 30 year £x billion 'new town building strategy' starting now, with the purpose of creating a few entirely new towns almost exclusively for population by climate refugees. I wonder if some (many?) pro migration people would draw a line at such a proposal?

If I'm lucky, I've got somewhere between 25-35 years left before I'm dust. And tbh I'm pleased about that, because I'm not sure I'd fit in all that well from ~2050 onwards.

p.s. Pat Ex, please remember I have you on ignore, so any replies from you specifically to me will be wasted effort ;)

Sponsored Links
As we all know, the climate emergency debate rages on. Regardless of our individual views on whether the stuff we're told is accurate, possibly accurate or complete bulls**t, if even some of this comes to pass, there are significant changes ahead.

One such potential change is to the number of climate refugees that will seek refuge in other countries over coming decades due to their homelands becoming increasingly uninhabitable. If the predictions around this are even close, the numbers are staggering.

This was discussed during a recent tv political debate held in Scotland. One of the panelists has written a book on this very subject. Her view was an interesting one. She asserts countries like Scotland (and the other UK nations) should be strategising about this now with a view to essentially building entirely new towns to house whatever % of these people find their way to Scotland (and the wider UK.)

This got me thinking. I wonder if people who are pro migration would support such a strategy? For example, I am pro people coming into the country that follow correct procedures and will contribute. However if I'm being honest, I'm not sure what my views would be if the Scottish Government announced e.g. a 30 year £x billion 'new town building strategy' starting now, with the purpose of creating a few entirely new towns almost exclusively for population by climate refugees. I wonder if some (many?) pro migration people would draw a line at such a proposal?

If I'm lucky, I've got somewhere between 25-35 years left before I'm dust. And tbh I'm pleased about that, because I'm not sure I'd fit in all that well from ~2050 onwards.

p.s. Pat Ex, please remember I have you on ignore, so any replies from you specifically to me will be wasted effort ;)
ps, I am still able to respond to your post. It matters little to me whether you read my comments or not.

A refugee is a refugee. The reason for them being a refugee is kind of immaterial.
If governments are incapable of planning for future scenarios, (refugee associated or any other), they don't deserve to be in government.

Imagine dealing with a business that had no Disaster Recovery Plan in readiness for a computer outage. Yet voters keep voting for the same incompetent governments time and time again.

NB the use of lower case 'g'.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand the term "climate refugee".
Most of these so called refugees seem to be coming from countries where people in Europe pay big money to go for their holidays.

There's bound to be mayhem sooner or later.. I expect I have about 5 years, more, if I'm unlucky. I don't think very many climate refugees will be generated in that time, but there will probably be a large event or two which will make get the ball rolling, before long. There are too many possible dramas to list. Water may be a problem.

We might all be refugees one day.

There has always been places in this world that are borderline habitable, it is amazing how the population of these places can adapt to the changing conditions.

If I consider it no longer comfortable to sunbathe on my patio, can I come & invade your patio???

That will be the next caper

Thousands of migrants crossing the channel claiming climate refugee status

Going on about how the UK is responsible for there climate change refugee status

PS

Pat X please remember I have you on the ignore / fruit cake list so any response directed at me will
Be wasted :ROFLMAO:

Most of these so called refugees seem to be coming from countries where people in Europe pay big money to go for their holidays

over the past 12 months the majority are from: Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Eritrea, Yemen.

So you are wrong.

There has always been places in this world that are borderline habitable, it is amazing how the population of these places can adapt to the changing conditions.

If I consider it no longer comfortable to sunbathe on my patio, can I come & invade your patio???
There are already people starving to death because of climate change. It might even be one of the reasons Putin invaded Europe's breadbasket.

I thought the list of most vulnerable countries would all have poor, brown, poor educated folk. While that's generally true, surprisingly Japan and Germany are on ze lists. The reason is that they judged on the basis of recent damaging weather events.
e.g. Japan, 2018, 2.3 million people were evacuated.
A run of events like that could have a few million people from many countries, looking for someone to find them some space.

Sponsored Links
Back