Is the writing on the wall for the UK union?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disclosure, I'm Scottish and live in Scotland. I am not in favour of Scotland becoming an independent nation. Cliche, I believe we are stronger together. I see inconsistencies between wanting to break up the union to become 'independent' to then apply to join the EU, although I accept the argument that EU membership isn't a mirror image of the UK union in terms of legislation, policy etc. I do however believe in the democratic process. Therefore, if another referendum is held and leave win I will accept the result, albeit with a slightly heavy heart.

For all the rhetoric given by the SNP at present, I do believe they have grasped the opportunity presented to them by Brexit and COVID to push their independence agenda. Fine, it's what political parties do, I get that. I also accept, if the polls are accurate, that a majority within Scotland now say they would vote to break up the union.

Given the current socio-economic situation, I do wonder if the writing is on the wall for the union. With Nicola Sturgeon advising a referendum will be held should the SNP win May's Holyrood election, coupled with polling information that suggests they might now have the numbers, I sense a growing momentum that wasn't as prevalent 6 years ago, fueled by the aforementioned situations. If reports are true, Boris is intending to make an unscheduled visit to Scotland soon to try and calm the waters.

I don't believe now is the right time to be considering independence, however I can see why it is exactly the right time from the SNP's perspective. I also think many of the people who will put a cross in the 'leave' box will be basing this on nothing more than a braveheart notion of being a separate country. I do however realise that voting decisions are often made as much (more?) with the heart than the head.

If the referendum goes ahead and leave win, I do wonder what the future will hold for Scotland. I don't doubt we'll survive from an economic perspective, to what degree of success who knows. Some parallels can perhaps be drawn with Brexit. In other words we've left the EU, some say it's a disaster and some say it isn't. In reality, only time will tell. I view Scottish independence in the same way, although I understand the Political and political differences.

What are your thoughts/views?

Sponsored Links
Which do you think will try to jump first, N.Ireland or Scotland?

I think it will happen eventually. Both Scotland and Northern Ireland wanted to remain in the EU for one thing, that could be a driving force in the future.

English nationalism will cause the breakup of the UK more than anything else.

Sponsored Links
Has Nicola sturgeon forgotten (conveniently) that she has to ask permission from borus Johnson to ballot for independence?

Never gonna get permission!

It's clearly her only agenda and she's prepared to push for it again and again , regardless of the consequences

see inconsistencies between wanting to break up the union to become 'independent' to then apply to join the EU,
You are about the Only Scot that does see the inconsistancy.Will the Shetlands not want independance and their oil??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say NI is more of a flight risk now than ever before. There's a huge amount of very strong feelings in NI about remaining part of the UK, but from what I've seen and heard that's mostly in the older generations. Younger people born after the troubles don't seem to have such emotional attachment.

NI really got screwed by Brexit. And it's only going to get worse over time as more things like the EU Credit card fee cap expires. Death by a thousands cuts.

Given long enough I'd expect NI to leave, but that might not be for another generation.

Has Nicola sturgeon forgotten (conveniently) that she has to ask permission from borus Johnson to ballot for independence?

Never gonna get permission!

It's clearly her only agenda and she's prepared to push for it again and again , regardless of the consequences
How far would we push that? Are we ok to go up to deploying the army to quash a separatist movement?

Because as soon as you block and supress a democratic movement that really does enjoy strong support you amplify it. Just saying no you don't have the choice just drives more Scots to want to leave. Even if you don't agree that leaving is a good idea you can agree that having a referendum is your right.

So, if the UK government just saying no, we need to have a clear reason why, and know how hard we're willing to push to block it.

Nicola will keep wanting a referendum until she gets the answer she wants. Personally I would let all nations have independence albeit with an alliance/union for trade cooperation, defence etc

English nationalism will cause the breakup of the UK more than anything else.
Indeed...

Scotland and NI will be better off without all those 'little englanders'.

Scotland in the EU, and a united island of Ireland (y)

Wales would also be better off if it cut it's shackles, but they don't have the balls!

And no doubt all those brexiteers who wish to see the break up of the EU will defend the UK 'union' in desperation!

'Stronger together' has a rather hypocritical hollow ring about it!

I'd say NI is more of a flight risk now than ever before. There's a huge amount of very strong feelings in NI about remaining part of the UK, but from what I've seen and heard that's mostly in the older generations. Younger people born after the troubles don't seem to have such emotional attachment.

NI really got screwed by Brexit. And it's only going to get worse over time as more things like the EU Credit card fee cap expires. Death by a thousands cuts.

Given long enough I'd expect NI to leave, but that might not be for another generation.
Boris Johnson has caused more damage to the Union than 30 years of IRA terrorism.

Personally I would let all nations have independence albeit with an alliance/union for trade cooperation, defence etc
Kind of like a union of 30 nations?

What should we call it?

Oh here's a novel idea...

Why not call it the EU (y)

Frankly, I'm sick of listening to Jimmy's constant whinging and whining about everything to do with England. And that idiot Blackford in the commons, every single word is based on anti-English, and not anti-government or policy.

You never hear any other leader of any other country or its politicians constantly harp on negatively about another country like Jimmy and the SNP cronies do.

It's clear that the finances and benefits for independence touted by the SNP don't stack up, so one part of me thinks "McFuk 'em, let 'em go and be done with it". It's really up to the unionists to prevent it, else they will be in deep shiit too.

Scotland and NI will be better off without all those 'little englanders'.
I'm sure you've got the same experience of being Scottish and Irish as you have common sense.

ie totally clueless.

But I'm sure after any break up, you still be scrounging of the generous benefits in England, not moving on to "better off" Scotland or Ireland.

Sponsored Links
Back