Is the writing on the wall for the UK union?

The break-up of the UK started with the Blair/Brown government creating the 'assemblies for Scotland and Wales 20+ years ago. When it will occur, wouldn't like to put a date on it but guess it's likely to be in my lifetime (so say within the next 20 years).

It's part of Blair's legacy to the nation along with leaving the EU. (and I think England will be asking to rejoin the EU in a similar timescale but it will be on much worse terms!)

Sponsored Links
The older generation probably voted to stay in during the last referendum

plenty of them have probably passed away now

so it should hopefully tip the balance in favour of them getting independence

20 years :eek:

Sooner I hope

hopefully with in 5 years :idea:

with a bit of luck the snp will clean up in the new elections

that should be there independence mandate to get it done rapidly

The break-up of the UK started with the Blair/Brown government creating the 'assemblies for Scotland and Wales 20+ years ago. When it will occur, wouldn't like to put a date on it but guess it's likely to be in my lifetime (so say within the next 20 years).

It's part of Blair's legacy to the nation along with leaving the EU. (and I think England will be asking to rejoin the EU in a similar timescale but it will be on much worse terms!)

The first Welsh referendum on devolution failed as they achieved less than 50% of the 'electorate'. Welsh Labour then changed the rules so that only a majority of the 'turnout' was required. The second referendum saw them scrape a 50.5% win.............and we've been going down hill ever since.:evil::evil::evil:

Sponsored Links

If Blair hadn't created the 'assemblies'/devolution, the 'union' would've been split apart years ago...

But it is inevitable now...

As for England rejoining the EU?

I have a feeling that there will be another 'De Gaulle' who realises that England is far too much trouble, even when it comes crawling back again once more as the 'sick old man of Europe'!

The first Welsh referendum on devolution failed as they achieved less than 50% of the 'electorate'. Welsh Labour then changed the rules so that only a majority of the 'turnout' was required. The second referendum saw them scrape a 50.5% win.............and we've been going down hill ever since.:evil::evil::evil:
Yeah, heaven forbid that a massive change of a nations future would hinge on a relatively tiny fraction of the population in a highly contested vote. :rolleyes::D

The SNP s entire agenda is to further there independace mandate

They sooner it occurs the better off Scotland :sneaky: and England will be

Scotland can than join the EU

The EU will welcome them with open arms :sneaky:

I would actually say Scottishpl nationalism more so.
If you have Scottish and Welsh nationalism dominating their respective countries then you end up with English nationalism by default.
That may not be the Tories intention but lets be honest about it, without England there is no UK, that is why it is dangerous and has always been frowned upon.

Wat about a united Ireland

eventually that will happen imho

?????

?????

Not for a long time yet. I think it more likely the republic will leave the EU, open border between North & south and the Republic will piggy back off the trade deals we're carving out with the rest of the world.
As bad as it's been for NI, it's worse in the republic plus they're having to live with the realisation they've been used as pawns by the EU.
It really is the only sensible option.

?????
They said that 100 years ago, the fact is Ireland has only been a unified state while part of the UK.
It was the Republic of Ireland that seceded from the Union and the bit left over was Northern Ireland.
Partition of Ireland was just a reflection of the realities on the ground.
The Republic at some point will have to realise that if they want a united Ireland they will have to compromise.
That means rejoining the UK which means a united Ireland for Nationalists and for Unionists an Ireland which is part of the UK.

As bad as it's been for NI, it's worse in the republic plus they're having to live with the realisation they've been used as pawns by the EU
That is an interesting point, the EU has thrown the Irish republic under the bus, while Boris has thrown the Unionists under the same bus.
This is the inevitable outcome of toxic Nationalism.

Sponsored Links
Back