Climate Refugees

It doesn't say 200 years ago, it refers to all of the previous 200 years. Even you can't be that thick.
Well, you could have worded it better; I thought you were a teacher or someone involved in education.

Sponsored Links
We might all be refugees one day.
It's an interesting point in that, when it comes to climate and sociopolitical stuff, no one knows how things are going to pan out. Maybe a century from now millions from the UK will be seeking refuge in other countries for whatever reason. However in my mind, countries can't and shouldn't plan based on unknowns. I come back to my opening post and the suggestion by the climate wifey that Scotland should be planning to build entirely new towns now to house future climate refugees. I see no logic in that whatsoever.

What I would see logic in is the Scottish Government saying e.g. 'We're investing £x over the next decade to ensure no person living in Scotland needs to be homeless. There will be basic, clean, safe accommodation available for Scottish people in need.'

That will be the next caper

Thousands of migrants crossing the channel claiming climate refugee status

Going on about how the UK is responsible for there climate change refugee status

PS

Pat X please remember I have you on the ignore / fruit cake list so any response directed at me will
Be wasted :ROFLMAO:
Have you not heard about the latest brainwave? Our hard-earned taxes should be paid to countries that didn't benefit from the industrial revolution that we started, meaning we are responsible for causing much of the damage that has led to the current crisis.

Yes, that's right. The proposal is we pay £1.5 billion to these countries ... for something that happened 150-200 years ago. Yes, I'm perfectly happy for my taxes to go towards such a scheme, not!

Sponsored Links
It's an interesting point in that, when it comes to climate and sociopolitical stuff, no one knows how things are going to pan out. Maybe a century from now millions from the UK will be seeking refuge in other countries for whatever reason. However in my mind, countries can't and shouldn't plan based on unknowns. I come back to my opening post and the suggestion by the climate wifey that Scotland should be planning to build entirely new towns now to house future climate refugees. I see no logic in that whatsoever.

What I would see logic in is the Scottish Government saying e.g. 'We're investing £x over the next decade to ensure no person living in Scotland needs to be homeless. There will be basic, clean, safe accommodation available for Scottish people in need.'

After WW1 and WW2, the country was in enormous debt, short of money, and short of housing, schools, hospitals, factories.

It voted out the Tories, and set to and built them.

The country today is richer and more productive

It is nonsense for government to pretend that the country can't afford to be decent.

It doesn't want to.

If we don't like that we shouldn't elect multi-millionaire Old Etonians to be in charge.

Our politicians do nothing for us, only for foreigners. Democracy in Britain is over, don't expect to ever get anything that you want from them. Look at our (foreign) Prime Minister this week, in a foreign land giving away billions to foreigners. Some say there has been a coup.

Rees-Mogg is not a foreigner, though he took care to set up business in Ireland to retain the benefits of EU membership.

Sunak is not currently a foreigner.

Johnson was born in USA but has given up his US citizenship (to avoid US tax liability)

It's sensible to plan for future Disaster Management. Don't we all have a little put by for the possible 'rainy day'?
A government that fails to prepare in Disaster Management is failing in its primary duty, that of care of its citizens.
Those plans need to not be enacted immediately, but "to fail to plan is a plan to fail". (Benjamin Franklin and Winston Churchill)
Those plans are ready to implement quickly when and if circumstances require it.

The more I see of this Tory farce and the country being slowly run into the ground, I'll be one of them. Going to have a look at some houses in Portugal and France in a couple of weeks.

Who knows - I may be Part ex's new neighbour. :giggle:
(y)
Move to higher ground, ideal with reliable aquifers nearby and good arable fields, and you should be ok.

I will confess to not looking in to the "Billion Climate Refugee" claim too much. I came across it first when some "stop oil" fruit mentioned it on R4 when she said they had decided to stop blocking the M25 to give government time to think. The reality though is most of them are now bailed charged with various offences.

I have great confidence in the human race's ability to solve problems. I here spaceX is looking to melt the polar caps on Mars to create an atmosphere, though he should also sort out a better magnetic field if he wants Mars to keep its new atmosphere. My view is that, like the Ice age before us, life will adapt.

Its not going to be a sudden thing, so the reality is humans will stop breeding/surviving where the living is tough and we will gradually change.

US said to today they are not coughing up to compensate these countries

Any money that is given will most likely be pinched and end up in some Swiss bank account imo

If some of these countries are so concerned they should stop there tourist industry

Ocean liners and tourist planes flying in ??!!

In fact the quickest thing could be if
UK and others stop going to some of these places on holiday unless they paddle or sail there

Not sure tourism is too big a factor in Bangladesh and Pakistan, Afghanistan,
For low islands, should be a formula for sea water rise per 1000 air miles, but it must be nanometres per.

Move to higher ground, ideal with reliable aquifers nearby and good arable fields, and you should be ok.
Portugal is desiccating. They're busy recharging aquifers with waste water to supply their golf courses, down south - what could possibly go wrong. They can turn to desalinating the sea, but.....

Some racist posts have been removed or edited
Me? Nope. I was lucky enough to get a decent education and kept learning, is all.
So, now that I understand what you mean about the number of events happening in a 200 year period can you tell me what other 200 year periods are you using for comparison? And how reliable is your evidence? The Earth is (we are told) billions of years old and man has been on it for a small fraction of that time, and records have been kept for an even smaller fraction.

Sponsored Links
Back