Climate Refugees

I thought the list of most vulnerable countries would all have poor, brown, poor educated folk. While that's generally true, surprisingly Japan and Germany are on ze lists. The reason is that they judged on the basis of recent damaging weather events.
e.g. Japan, 2018, 2.3 million people were evacuated.
A run of events like that could have a few million people from many countries, looking for someone to find them some space.
How much of it is due to new houses being built on land previously thought of as unsuitable due to flooding?

Sponsored Links
I thought the list of most vulnerable countries would all have poor, brown, poor educated folk. While that's generally true, surprisingly Japan and Germany are on ze lists. The reason is that they judged on the basis of recent damaging weather events.
e.g. Japan, 2018, 2.3 million people were evacuated.
A run of events like that could have a few million people from many countries, looking for someone to find them some space.

Australia has plenty of room. Unfortunately they fo seem to get alot of rain and floods in the populated areas.

Unfortunately or not; depends how you look at it, the UK seems to have the perfect weather. Or as near as it'll get.

The more I see of this Tory farce and the country being slowly run into the ground, I'll be one of them. Going to have a look at some houses in Portugal and France in a couple of weeks.

Who knows - I may be Part ex's new neighbour. :giggle:
(y)
If you're thinking of going to the ex-pat paradise in the Algarve you may want to check and find out how many wild fires the region has been cursed with over the last ten years; even the area around Nancy was engulfed with flame this year.

Sponsored Links
If you're thinking of going to the ex-pat paradise in the Algarve you may want to check and find out how many wild fires the region has been cursed with over the last ten years; even the area around Nancy was engulfed with flame this year.
Does Portugal allow migrants from outside the EU?

Thanks for the advice. I can't afford Algarve and some parts of it are infested with Brits. My brother holidays in Albufeira, but says he wouldn't live there. I'm loking more central/Northern. Would like Silver coast or inland n.east of Lisbon in Fundao/Castelo Branco area. Also looking in Charente, Dordogne, Midi Pyrenees, Languedoc in France which may be a better bet re climate/heat/fires - but I hear Dordogne is quite British and gets crowded with tourists in high summer.

Going to have a look at some houses in Portugal and France in a couple of weeks.

Does Portugal allow migrants from outside the EU?
As I understand it, they'll have to meet the stricter criteria of immigration from third world countries, instead of the pervious freedom of movement rules which allowed them to live in another member state as long as they met the far lesser criteria of being able to support themselves, having the required medial cover, and not being specific persona non grata.

The main difference being that under the Freedom of Movement, as long as you met the criteria, you could not be refused. Whereas under the stricter immigration application, you can be refused even if you do meet the requirement.
One is a right, the other is a privilege, granted when it suits.

The main difference being that under the Freedom of Movement, as long as you met the criteria, you could not be refused. Whereas under the stricter immigration application, you can be refused even if you do meet the requirement.
One is a right, the other is a privilege, granted when it suits.

Rampant Brexer Nigel Lawson was turned down by the French.

Very fair.

Don't understand the term "climate refugee".
Most of these so called refugees seem to be coming from countries where people in Europe pay big money to go for their holidays.
You do know you're wrong on that.

In 2021, the top five most common countries of nationality of people who applied for asylum in the UK were Iran, Iraq, Eritrea, Albania and Syria
Twice as many people fleeing the tourist destination of Iraq than Albania, which is also not a top tourist destination.

How much of it is due to new houses being built on land previously thought of as unsuitable due to flooding?
Not much. Drought, 70,000 with heatstroke, 100mph cyclones, rising sea levels, weather not seen in 200 years...
This isn't town planner disease.

Last edited:
Not much. Drought, 70,000 with heatstroke, 100mph cyclones, rising sea levels, weather not seen in 200 years...
This isn't town planner disease.

What's the significance of 200 years ago? What happened then?

Sponsored Links
Back