Newly built houses & long term maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You see many houses built decades ago that are still original outside bar double glazing and new doors. Many still have original roofs, rendering etc. I used to live in an ex council house built in the 30's or 40's and it's 100% original outside in terms of the physical building, bar replacement of some guttering.

I seem to recall watching something on tv or youtube a few years back and it was an industry expert talking about the construction of houses in the UK present day. It wasn't a 'let's knock them' type of thing, just seemed to be stating facts.

The guy said something about modern houses (think he was referring to cookie cutters) having an estimated maintenance span of 50 years. He suggested around this time, if not carried out in previous years, these properties will require quite extensive exterior maintenance e.g. roof replacement and possible re-render. If I recall correctly, I think he maybe even mentioned a construction industry equation that's used to estimate/determine such timespans?

I know it's not an exact science, however when considering newly built houses, the materials and methods used, do you reckon on average they'll be good for 50 years without requiring much exterior maintenance?

Sponsored Links
Well we moved into ours 25 years ago today, self build. No signs of scurvy, and all well aboard the SS Golf. So far.

Our house was built mid 50's and still going strong, original roof still.

Proper internal walls, decent sized garden front and back.

A surveyor some years ago said to me "we've no idea if any of these houses will see out their mortgage period". He was independent nothing to do with the construction of the site in question or a competitor.

Sponsored Links
A surveyor some years ago said to me "we've no idea if any of these houses will see out their mortgage period". He was independent nothing to do with the construction of the site in question or a competitor.
I think the guy on the prog I saw referred to this i.e. questioning the longer term viability of these builds without significant exterior works within the 50 year period.

New houses don't stand the test of time so well as we have adopted building materials and methods from North America and Australia as well as the EU.

because land is more plentiful they tend to get bored with their house, knock them down and build another.

Some get bored with their location so move the whole house to another location.

So don't always have to stand the test time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the guy on the prog I saw referred to this i.e. questioning the longer term viability of these builds without significant exterior works within the 50 year period.

Whats significant exterior works entail if it's made from stone? Repointing?

Sponsored Links
Back