When were the 'best' houses built?

My house was built around 1900 and had a '70's extension when we bought it. As we wanted to build on top we had to underpin the extension (poor builders through the ages)

If you were planning a single story extension, Building regs would accept a shallower found than if you were building a two story extension. Think about it,,, a two story extension has much more weight sitting on the founds than a single does. That's why you had to have the original extension foundations underpinned.

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is, it depends on what criteria, best means to you.

My house was built around 1900 and had a '70's extension when we bought it. As we wanted to build on top we had to underpin the extension (poor builders through the ages)

If you were planning a single story extension, Building regs would accept a shallower found than if you were building a two story extension. Think about it,,, a two story extension has much more weight sitting on the founds than a single does. That's why you had to have the original extension foundations underpinned.

Not so much the weight concerned rather the soil has to be stable, most footings are a meter deep as the soil hasn't been disturbed over the last few hundred years and it is stable, until a tree starts growing and sucks the moisture out of one corner which causes the soil to dry out and subsidence occurs, if you remove a tree that has caused no problems in the last 50yrs the opposite happens and the soil expands and pushes the house up in one area which is subsidence in reverse.

Sponsored Links
I should like a bash at living in such as 'HANSE HAUS' type modern, factory machined, close toleranced, eco house.
Surely this is the way to go? Low heat costing, rainwater harvesting, heat pumping, draught proofed, mechanical ventilated - 21st century tech'.

I daren't search out a rental because if I tried it (wouldn't need much prompting) and liked it - I would want it !

http://www.hanse-haus.co.uk/build_your_home/limitless_possibilities.html

-0-

Back