Ronseal Decking Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently oiled my decking using Ronseal Decking oil. I did 2 coats but left just under the recommended time between coats (5hrs 30 instead of 6hrs) as i need to head out. That was almost a week ago and while the oil looks good has dried well it still smells quite strongly.

Does anyone know if this is to be expected from Ronseal Decking oil or decking oils in general? Is the smell likely to subside eventually?

Sponsored Links
I use Linseed oil, and it smells pleasantly like a cricket bat in the sun. The odour reduces over time.

i don't think i've ever smelt a cricket bat but sounds alot nicer that the smell i have. will have to look at using linseed oil in the future.

this i a rather chemically white spirit type smell.

For linseed, buy "boiled" it hardens faster.

Not "raw"

It sounds like yours has white spirit added to make it thinner so it soaks in and dries faster. Sunshine will drive it out.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice, i'll look at using linseed oil next time. I think the smell is slowly dissipating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back