Ronseal High Performance Huge Gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I started to fill an exterior window sill using the Ronseal wet rot stuff and then the filler.

The amount of rot cut away on the sill is about 10 inches long by width about 4".

All going well but I will soon be into my third tin at £10 a time. Can I fill with something else to
cut my costs and increasing time please or should I just bite the bullet and carry on?

Best
Alan

Sponsored Links
When I've done something similar in the past, I chopped back until I hit 'good wood', then spliced in new wood, then used car body filler to fill where needed.
It's cheaper than wood filler [buy a big pot] and does the same job.

ohdearme, good evening.

Being as I am Old School??

If your sill is a Sash and Case you can get so called "Half Sills" that can be fitted following removal of the rot damaged sill.

Or??? take a series of dimensions of the timber sill and get or cut and form a direct replacement for the damaged sill?? Probably cheaper than the fill material??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Thank you everybody, I was wondering if I took a file and worked on some new soft wood so that it fitted easily int the existing gaps.

A good idea would you think?
Regards
Alan

Sorry not clear. I meant that if I filed softwood to sawdust, I could use it as an effective filler. Do you think so?
Thank you for your trouble.
Alan

If you've dug out all the rot and treated the wood that remains with fungicide you can fill the bulk of a big hole with almost anything that's dimensionally stable. I've successfully used stone/gravel. The final surface layer can be a conventional weatherproof filler, e.g. car body filler.

ohdearme, good evening again.

OK Old School

Get your self a small rigid wood saw, and a chisel.

Using the saw cut out the rot back to a fair bit past the last infestation of rot you can see.

Using a chisel trim off the residual areas of timber sill not cut out by the Saw.

Get the dimensions of the area of timber you have chopped out and find a replacement bit of timber? but how???

Try contacting local to you joinery shops to see if they can produce a small piece of pre-Shaped timber that will fit into the gap you have removed?

Trick is that you need to contact a local joinery workshop prior to undertaking the work so that you can be assured that once removed you have a replacement?

As my previous post, there are commercially available so called "Half Sills" which are Pre-Shaped [that is sill shaped] pieces of timber.

Take some rough dimensions of the damaged Sill and do some research as to the availability of shaped timber that will fulfill the need

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Thanks everyone, Grateful to you all, what do two of you mean by an infill? Is this tiny bis of wood pushed in? Excuse my ignorance. Have a nice weekend everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back