Ronseal Shed & Fence Wood Preservative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Has anyone used the above? Is it any good? My dad has a spare tin that's the right shade to use on repainting one of my back fences (last painted five or so years ago?); but wondered if it was any good or if I would be best off getting something else?

Cheers,
TFT

Sponsored Links
I got a tin of this for £13 from the local diy shop;

Applied 3 even coats with 12hrs drying time in between, on 12mm ply board, and it's been 5 months since; looks liek I did it yesterday! ... and seeing the rain run off in beads, makes me smile :)

image.jpg
Different colour though.

you mean the spirit based one? It seems good at preventing rot, so use it on the thicker timbers and soak the ends of posts in it. You have to keep stirring or shaking it as the pigment sinks to the bottom. It would be wasted on thin panels because they dry out as soon as the rain stops so are not at much risk of rot. I use it in place of Cuprinol Green which seems to have been discontinued.

Use plastic gloves, and skin and eye protection

It is not a decorative water-repellent coating like the cheaper water based fence stains, but you can apply those after the preserver solvent has dried out (allow a month or so).

Sponsored Links
Quite similar to that one - but actually called 'Shed and Fence preserver' with a Dark brown colour (as opposed to clear) - spirit based.

Fence is feather-edge and would look to treat the whole thing - there's certain sections that are clearly too close to trees that have developed a green tinge to them over the course of the summer, not sure if I need to pre-treat these first, or if the preserver would take care of those.

Thanks for the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back