ROOF BRACES

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

Sorry i might be using the wrong terminology. I am looking to buy a house 150years old solid brick walls. I have had the survey done and no real suprises, theres damp as expected. However the roof has been renewed ie new slates and some rafters. The surveyor mentioned the presence of metal braces going across parts of the A frame. He did not seem overly concerned about them but my question is should i be. Why would they be needed if the roof has been done ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends what you mean by braces and whether these are strapping the rafters from sideways movement, or tying the rafters to prevent spread at the ends

The straps may be extra strength, or to strengthen thinner timbers, or just fitted on the whim of whoever done the roof or inspected it

Lots of roofs do need strapping though

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Not sure what they are for . They basically are a piece of steel/iron? rod which is bolted to two plates of steel/iron which enclose the rafter about a thrid of the way up from the ceiling. The steel then forms the horizontal of the A. Looking at the design you can shorten the rod by tightening the boltsd in the steel plates at either end.You say plenty of roofs need this so not a worry? and its an effective solution to whatever the problem is?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back