Roof bracing missing on half of roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently upgrading the insulation in our loft and noticed 3 large random beams of wood up there.
Have just realised that they must have been removed from the bottom of the roof structure by a previous owner, perhaps when they were boarding or something.

The other side of the roof has them attached in a H shape as some kind of bracing I guess. Tried to attach a photo showing the one side.

Just wondering if these are important and should I be looking to put them back on the other half of the roof!?

Thanks for any advice! Stu

Attachments

• PXL_20220930_103001368~2.jpg
    PXL_20220930_103001368~2.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Bracing on roofs made of pre-fabbed trusses is usually installed diagonally. It's also not usually that large in section. That piece with those white electrical boxes attached is usually the kind of thing.

Thanks, I've had a look at some roof bracing diagrams and came to the same conclusion Might be this was temporary when they put the roof up or someone previously was planning a raised floor perhaps. At least I can take it out and save some weight!

Looks like a typical storage cistern support with some bits removed.

1665309719925.png

Sponsored Links
Ah yep it did used to have a water tank in the loft (had to chop it up as had been left empty up there over the one side).
Thanks for confirming both, appreciated

Became redundant when new modern combi was fitted, nothing to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back