Roof design for low-pitch, wide roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm building a 4.7 x 4.7m shed, which in order to keep it within PD and still give usable height, will only have a 15° pitch.

I'm wondering what's the best way to support the roof in this instance. I'd rather not use ceiling joists to hold it together as they would eat in to headroom. Most, but not all of the designs I've seen which don't use them have a ridge beam instead. Some then either have a collar beam or an OSB gusset, but not all.

Just wondering if there's one of these approaches that would be recommended for a build like mine? I'm concerned that the width of the span and the low angle will place a greater strain on things.

I was thinking of something like this: https://i.imgur.com/HhPWmj1.png
Though obviously I've just put the one collared example in for now - I'd have one at the top of each wall stud.

Would this be sufficient? Not enough…? Overkill…?

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
My understanding was that under permitted development you have a maximum of 2.5m when within 2m of a boundary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back