Gable pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I'm hoping you folks can help with this:

The bricklayers have got me up to wall plate level and it's time for the roof. With so many options, I wonder what would be the quickest and cheapest roof construction whilst allowing for 3 x skylights (118 x 78cm) on each slope. Notes:

• some form of cross bracing is needed: whether its collar ties or joists
  • the box gutters will rest on the outer brick face
  • roof pitch is approx 21 deg
  • 4000mm bifold doors to go on front

Here are my criteria:
  1. Skylights shouldn't be so close to the eaves that they sit above kitchen worktops below! Therefore, any rafter collar ties must be positioned so skylights can start approx 650mm from wall plate
  2. I'd prefer flat ceilings but don't mind vaulted or even partially vaulted. I'm trying to avoid that 'cathedral meets barn' look, however. For a flat ceiling, STRADA tables suggest using 9x3 joists but the span being >6m makes this a tricky and costly proposition
  3. I can use steel as a ridge but wish to avoid if possible

upload_2021-5-19_18-49-24.png

Sponsored Links
You could have a flat roof with a steel across the middle and then 3metre joists of say 145 x 47

Or you could have a flat roof with 2 steels and 95 x 47 joists.....and if you put trimmers between the steels, you could have a central lantern / flat glazed skylight of 2m x 1m

If you go for a universal column section the steel wouldn't have to be very big - it's not got much load anyway. And then you could have a warm roof - as long as you can get say 70mm of insulation over the steels and 125mm elsewhere, you will be fine.

I don't like the sound of a pitched roof with internal flat ceiling and skeilings with veluxes.

In any case you want the natural light central in the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back