Roof detail help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have planning to build and extension on my house, This will tie in with an extension that was built before I moved in. I have come across a couple of issues regarding the height. any advice would be much appreciated. As you can see from the drawings, the wall I want to put French doors and windows in is already very low, limiting my header space for over the opening without reducing the size of the door too much. Can anyone shed some light on any of the questions I have below please?

What size header would I need over the door and window opening?

If I don't have the height for an adequate header, could I get around this by fitting a universal beam the length of the extension at some point beneath the rafters to support them and remove the load from the wall plate?

I would also be unable to fit the ceiling joists on the wall plate as the ceiling would only be about 2.1m high. Can these be supported off the rafters or additional beam to give me some height or am I better doing a lean to style roof?

What size timbers would you recommend for the rafters at 400mm spacing?

Sorry for all the questions in my first post, but just trying to get a feel if this is even at all possible.

Many thanks
David

front.jpg
side.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I have planning to build and extension on my house, This will tie in with an extension that was built before I moved in. I have come across a couple of issues regarding the height. any advice would be much appreciated. As you can see from the drawings, the wall I want to put French doors and windows in is already very low, limiting my header space for over the opening without reducing the size of the door too much. Can anyone shed some light on any of the questions I have below please?

What size header would I need over the door and window opening?

If I don't have the height for an adequate header, could I get around this by fitting a universal beam the length of the extension at some point beneath the rafters to support them and remove the load from the wall plate?

I would also be unable to fit the ceiling joists on the wall plate as the ceiling would only be about 2.1m high. Can these be supported off the rafters or additional beam to give me some height or am I better doing a lean to style roof?

What size timbers would you recommend for the rafters at 400mm spacing?

Sorry for all the questions in my first post, but just trying to get a feel if this is even at all possible.

Many thanks
David

View attachment 311914View attachment 311915
Sorry, but it all looks poorly thought out and designed, with little thought to practicality or aesthetics. Has this been proposed by a designer?

Yes, sorry. Drawings were provided by an architect. (Not the ones above)

Can anyone help? Any advice would be much appreciated. The planning has gone though and am limited with having the doors and windows on this face of the building.

Sponsored Links
Is acceptable to raise the ceiling above the wall plate like this and putting timbers between load bearing walls to support the roof rafters mid span?

1693249167397.png

Last edited:
Looks like one of FMT's drawings. Ask him his design methodology for the head heights, there must be a logical reason. :unsure:

That will look like Hobitville.

If you can't alter the adjacent roof line, then raise the roof on the existing and make the step look like it's meant to be, or perhaps mask it wthl a gable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back