Roof insulation looks like hays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

My boiler roof leaks I and decides to DIY. I found that the insulation looks like a compact hay which I've never seen before. Is there any reason this insulation is made of such (as image).
20170924_124824.jpg

Sponsored Links
A place I used to work had a roof made from what looked like wheatabix
It was compressed wood wool

It's called stramit board. Widely used on roof construction in local authority housing in Cumbernauld (a new town built around 1950's - 60's), never came across it used anywhere else but I'm sure it must have been. Quite strong until it gets wet, and was intended to be a combined solid surface and insulation in one. Almost definitely no specific reason not to do away with it if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Not as a like-for-like replacement since polystyrene won't be any good as roof boarding - you'll need boarding first then your selection of roof covering (including insulation as you require).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back