Roof insulation period property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm currently removing rubble and other asorted detritus from my attic before laying some decent insulation. The rafters extend quite some way below the attic floor creating sloping ceilings in the bedroom. Should I push insulation down into the voids between the rafters as far as it will go before laying insulation between the joists or do I need to consider ventilation more carefully? The roof would seem now to have a breathable membrane.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have similar, I used celotex for the sloping parts in between the rafters, leaving 50mm gap above the insulation for ventilation. (I have bitumen felt)

I then used standard rock wool in the loft, laid over the ceiling binders.
Put as much as you can in 300mm if possible and insulate the loft hatch door as this is one of the areas moist air can get through.

Is there any ventilation in the loft currently? Ridge, eaves, tiles or walls?

That's a nifty solution. At present, the spaces I describe are stuffed with old fibreglass insulation whilst the loft floor is covered in a mix of the same and old plaster. I think your suggestion would be a decent way to proceed. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back