Roof Insulation Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a is a typical two storey house, with a 'porch' on the front containing the entrance lobby and downstairs WC.

Roof.jpg

These two rooms get VERY cold and i suspect the roof void is very badly insulated if at all. However there is no access hatch where i can check. I had planned on pulling the plasterboard down in the WC (smallest room on plan), insulating the roof space and re-boarding it. It's a relatively small room so it would take less than one sheet of plaster board and i can therefore avoid the need for joints. I may also cove it to avoid any detail in the corners.

My colleague, however, suggested removing an area of pantiles, cutting back the battens and felt, and insulating it that way. I must admit, it would save a hell of alot of mess and a bit of money (especially has he can give me the replacement roofing felt), but im just a little concerned about how to do. He reacons pushing back the felt as far as possible to the sides, but would this still make it water tight? Also how can i remove the tiles and replace them? i've never worked with roof tiles.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back