Roof leak at abutment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. In need of roofing advice. We have an 80s built timber frame house with a pyramid roof covered in asbestos cement tiles. We have a garage attached on the side and we have a leak coming in where it meets the house.

We know the roof is coming to the end of life and are attempting to get quotes to see how possible a reroof could be in the new year but I can’t get anyone to do a repair.

I’ve had 2 roofers say they would use ct1 or similar to try to hold the water out for now but one never got back to me with a quote and the other said not answer my calls.

No one wants to help with this as a proper repair would mean roof tiles off, felt off and house cladding off.

Bit stuck as to what so do when roofers refuse to get back to me. I’ve tried 6 in the past 3 weeks and the leaks getting worse.

Sponsored Links
24562832-2D31-4BCB-8A66-0101BFB4A184.jpeg
283B7A7B-2AA5-4677-8137-8F48BC8D2913.jpeg

Looks like it needs a 'proper' flashing installing, not just squizzing in some sealant.

I'm sure 'Datarebel' will be along to give you the advice you need.(y)

Thanks. We’ve been told that is the case but to do that means removing a lot of tiles, cladding and scaffolding. Quoted around 3k for that and it’s money we can’t put into a fix if we are hoping to retile come next year.

We almost want a bodge that will make it watertight through the winter to see us through to a new roof.

Sponsored Links
No loft conversion. Garage attached to the house. Cladding covers the entire top half of the house. It’s timber frame.

1) brush off the debris
2) heat gun on low setting to dry area
3) silicone or CT1 mastic down joint
4) maybe use foam gun as well - foam can seal well.( bear in mind it doesn’t survive externally all that long.

it’s all a bodge and messy but it might hold water back until next year.

Looks possibly Asbestos slate.
If its not hen simply disc cut top to bottom of the slope tight to the cladding then slip some soakers in. you wont get under any vertical underlay but it might help and the soakers can be used at a later date when you reroof

1) brush off the debris
2) heat gun on low setting to dry area
3) silicone or CT1 mastic down joint
4) maybe use foam gun as well - foam can seal well.( bear in mind it doesn’t survive externally all that long.

it’s all a bodge and messy but it might hold water back until next year.

Thank you. We’ve had 3 roofers all day this is the way to temp fix it so have someone hopefully doing it this weekend.

Now to find the money for a whole new roof.

If you could get it to stick then a roll of flashband would make a nice temporary DIY repair - does it stick better if you bother with a primer?

If you're just gonna try a bit of a bodge for now then why bother with roofers? A handyman who doesn't mind climbing onto a roof with the knowledge you'll not hold him to it if it leaks would probably give a whirl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back