Roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen in my new house comprises of the original kitchen and an extension to form into a long kitchen. Water seems to drip from the joint where the extension was made. The roof is flat.

A builder has said that the lead flashing needs to be replaced ( without going up on the roof ) and he wants £800 for the work. Can I fix it myself? What would I need to buy? Lead flashing or Aluminium flashing?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Normally the flat roof coverings would go up the wall a bit where it joins the main wall. Then there's a groove cut horizontally into the wall along the whole length of the roof (using a stihl saw), and a lead flashing is held into this groove with lead wedges and dressed down to cover/protect the top edge of the flat roof coverings. Then it's pointed with sand/cement. Not really something I'd recommend a diyer taking on.

Sponsored Links
I got up on the roof and took some photos.

IMG-20240316-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20240316-152422840-HDR.jpg

There does not seem to be groove cuts.

I also noticed a larger hole on the right wall that I need to fill up. Do I use expanding foam and then mortar or chicken wire and then mortar?

IMG-20240316-WA0009.jpg

Was that not noted on the survey when you bought the house

I got up on the roof and took some photos.

IMG-20240316-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20240316-152422840-HDR.jpg

There does not seem to be groove cuts.

I also noticed a larger hole on the right wall that I need to fill up. Do I use expanding foam and then mortar or chicken wire and then mortar?

IMG-20240316-WA0009.jpg
Either the waste needs switching to the outside wall closer to the SVP or hopper, or the entire run should be boxed in with ply and felted over with the roofing material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back