Roof membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first post
Could anyone help give me guidance on my issue, I am having an extension built my builder started work at the beginning of May and worked through till early August, with a lot of stops and starts. Probably more stops!
He got the membrane and batons on then was delayed waiting for roof tiles.
The roof is still not tiled and we are heading into the new year.
The roof as been left now for 5 months, we have the tiles now but the builder isn't able to complete the job untill after the new year! I want him to replace the membrane but he says it will be fine what do you think? Will it be fine?
20211223_110954.jpg
20211223_110611.jpg
20211223_110601.jpg
20211223_110954.jpg
20211223_110611.jpg
20211223_110601.jpg

Sponsored Links
The tarp was added to cover the membrane around 3 months after the membrane was fitted, in some places it's not covering at all.
Thank you for any info you can give me.

Sponsored Links
The membrane manufacture will specify how long it should be left exposed for.

The water marks are likely to be because the polyethene is touching it, and not allowing condensation to evaporate away, and not necessarily a sign that the membrane is defective.

The membrane does look a bit tight, and normally need to be laid with a sag. See the manufacturers guidance.

Oh thank you for that, yes I do agree, he insists it will be ok, I think because the batons are already on he doesn't want the extra work, I would pay for more membrane, I just want everything to be right. If I were to pay for more breathable membrane what brand or type would be the best to buy?

Yes woody I was thinking the same from what I have read, there should be a slight sag. Not sure I have much faith in my builder/ roofer anymore.

I think I chose the wrong builder and his friend the roofer, what should of been a 12 week build as turned into a 36 week build and counting! Even with covid and delays in materials it should never take this long.
I think the least he can do is replace the membrane!
Thank you all for your input:)

Hi sorry for the late reply we have the redland regent tiles and yes there was a long delay waiting for them, but they have been on site now for over 2 months and still no roofer/builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back