Roof Purlin uprights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

My attic was converted many years before I bought the house. It’s a standard end terrace. Because it’s not insulated I decided to add a few more windows and install insulation. I want to remove the Purlin braces and push them back a bit to create a little more room. What are all your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Attachments

• 808C8B27-35FB-4B0E-8292-44D687C97495.jpeg
    808C8B27-35FB-4B0E-8292-44D687C97495.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
It's not clear where the purlins are supported, the struts are supporting the rafters, either way you would need structural calculations for this. It will likely involve ties between the rafters to compensate for the loss of support where the struts are pushed back, and maybe structural steelwork for the floor, but a SE will need to advise.

Blup

i think the roof bearers are supported on the large white beam...it is supported by the wall
the vertical struts seem to be for the dwarf wall of the room ...so that there could be storage effected and not make that area trap bad air...and go straight onto the floor joists...
unless there is a support below for them ie a bearer or wall, they cant be loaded to high

a SE will advise just in case...cant be too careful...
but opening the room will create floor space which you will have to cover but not really be able to get furniture or bedding into..

cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back