Roof Reconstruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id appreciate some advice regarding my hotch potch roofs at the rear of my property.
They leak quite badly in windy conditions which isn't any great surprise looking at the workmanship!
Id like to re design both roofs so they flow together and use either the same tile as the neighbours (to the left) or an artificial slate to match my main roof.
Ive had a few roofers/builders come to look and quote but they didn't come back to me, its an awkward job granted but not impossible.
Im a decent diy carpenter but no roofer, id like to have a go at this myself as i feel that i could spend a lot more time on it and do a decent job.
My plan would be to try to construct the new roof over the old one and rip out underneath when finished as i have plans to re plaster etc.
My concern is how to tie in to the left hand side in picture 1, i realise ive got to increase the pitch to an acceptable level depending on tile used but do i match the neighbours pitch exactly or try to keep the same pitch as my right hand roof in picture 2.
If i take the pitch up to neighbours level then ive got to make the window smaller and the right hand roof in picture 2 may become too steep.
Any advice on what the pros would do would be much appreciated.
Any more info needed let me know.
Thanks in advance.
View media item 74030 View media item 74031

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thought I would chuck in my 2p here.

Look how pokey that wee window on your neighbours is to yours. There must be a way of laying a flat roof coating (epdm or the likes) that tolerates your shallow pitch and conserves the window height.

Graeme

Sponsored Links
Id like to keep the window obviously, at the moment it opens fully and could provide a means of escape.
Im not familiar with other flat roof methods, only fibreglass but i will look into it.
Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back