roof repair disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry this is a long one - I would really appreciate your thoughts though!

I recently had a repair done to the gable end of my house. This included removing the old rotten barge board and putting up new upvc fascia and soffits on the gable end, removing the last few rows of tiles, and redressing the lead around the external chimney (which is also on that end of the house and lower than the apex of the roof).

Once they had removed the tiles, I was informed the ladder structure and end rafter also needed replacing as they were rotten. I agreed for this extra work to be done. When it was finished, I raised concerns with the company about how the lead flashing around the chimney looked - it had been folded down over the fascia board and looked different to all the other properties in the street, and not what I was expecting. The contractor said he would come and take a look. The next thing I knew, the scaffolding had been removed and we received an invoice. I telephoned the company again and he explained that he had not come out to look, but spoke to the worker concerned and that he had no worries about it.

I explained I was still worried and that I was going to get a surveyor (the one who had pointed out the repair works when we were purchasing the property) to take a look. He did so and raised concerns about the flashing, the untidy workmanship, some pointing that should have been done on the chimney, and that the lead folded over the barge board was inviting water to run that way. I got an alternative contractor to quote on the remedial works. He raised significant concerns about the lack of overhang on the gable end - only 9mm in places. He quoted to redo most of the work, including building a new ladder structure.

I have now spoken with the original contractor who informed me he agrees the overhang is not adequate, the undercloaking has been cut too short behind the chimney, those areas should have been repointed. He argued that the watercheck is functioning correctly, and the white track we have running down the back of the chimney stack now is efflorescence from the new lead flashing which was not treated with oil. He also argued that the ladder structure and upvc does not need to be replaced in order to increase the overhang on the tiles, or sort out the undercloaking with the last tile behind the stack. He also wants to complete the remedial works himself.

I am concerned as it seems that he is only interested in getting as much money out of our job as possible, and that might cause him to cut corners on these works. So - does the ladder and upvc bargeboard and soffit need to be replaced in order to create more overhang on the tiles and add more undercloaking?

Would the lack of oil on the lead create a new white track/watermark down the rear of the chimney stack? or is it more likely to have been created by water hitting an insufficient watercheck and then being guided onto the back of the chimney by the lead being folded down over the bargeboard?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and experience on this please.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
1st thing i would do is post some pics,that way the peeps on here cn give you some good advice.

Yes pics would be good. To create a wider tile overhang you'll either need another row of tiles cut down or remove the fascia cut the ladder down which would be easier. That's if I'm singing from the same hymn sheet.

The white run off from the new lead is caused by carbonate staining, the new lead should have been treated with patination oil.
http://www.britishlead.co.uk/patination-oil.htm

The contractor has to be given a chance to rectify any problems before getting anyone else in, once he has finished you can get it checked over by your surveyor before parting with any money.

Deffo some pics will help.

Sponsored Links
To be honest the tile overhang I wouldn't worry about, you get some like that so it's the least of your worries. It's the chimney that needs to be sorted. You need a scaff erected, new pointing and leaded properly.

Ok. Have you got any pictures of what you would reasonably expect the lead to look like in this situation? I wasn't expecting to see the lead folded down over the fascia like this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back