Roof spray foam insulation - experiences/opinions please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The houses in my street and surrounding area were built without any roofing felt - just bare slate tiles. With all the cold weather and heating costs going up I am obviously thinking about ways I can make my house warmer. A new roof would be great but this will be several years down the line. What's your opinions and experiences with this? Is it all it's cracked up to be or would you not touch it with a barge pole?

Sponsored Links
Don't go near it with a barge pole, it will cause more problems than you could ever of anticipated.

Make sure you have 350mm of loft insulation.

Andy

Thank you! I've just been reading similar old posts saying pretty much the same thing. Guessing it will be a re-roof in the future then.

nooo!!!! Definitely stay away. We unfortunately inherited one of these god forsaken roofs, nothing but timber rot & cracked sates came from this awful system. NO!

Sponsored Links
There are still loads of elderly houses around with no underfelt, and so long as the slates are kept in good condition, don't worry about it.
Follow Andy's advice regarding the 350mm insulation (free just now) and check the roof void from time to time, looking for damp timbers. A blowing gale up there does a lot of good, but naturally any water tanks need lagging too!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back