Roof Structure Sagging and Lack Of Tie Ins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I'm looking to purchase a 1960s semi and the Building Surveyor has come back with a couple of issues regarding the roof. The first is that the roof structure has sagged in one place - see image. The roof is of concrete tile construction and, as far as I'm aware, is original to the property. Is it a case of raising the sagging cross member and bolt bracing / sandwiching it with supporting wood both sides? Or another vertical support towards the middle of the horizontal cross member? Also, would this fall to a chippie or roofer if not a DIY task?

(Image Removed)

The other observation was that the gable end wall hasn't been strapped into the roof. Having searched around the internet on the subject I've seen mention to it not having to be done 'back in the day', but advisable - and or the surveyor covering their backs. The solution to this sounds pretty straight forward, but if it's not essential and has been fine for 60+ years then do I go by the old adage of 'if it's not broke...'.

(Image Removed)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That is identical roof construction to my own - a massive horizontal timber, 1/3 up from the eaves, then a supporting V of thick timber, in the middle of the span, up from the internal wall. The only difference being - my V has what appears to be what was probably a temporary support timber, horizontally across the tops of the V, and the roof is tiled with quarry tiles.

I would suspect that, rather than the timber sagging with the weight of roof, it has simply twisted has the timber has seasoned and dried out. Therefore nothing to be concerned about.

Not really, being in focus and from the front to show the extent of the issue would be helpful.

I'll see if I can get over there and grab another image square on from the front. Thank you.

That is identical roof construction to my own - a massive horizontal timber, 1/3 up from the eaves, then a supporting V of thick timber, in the middle of the span, up from the internal wall. The only difference being - my V has what appears to be what was probably a temporary support timber, horizontally across the tops of the V, and the roof is tiled with quarry tiles.

I would suspect that, rather than the timber sagging with the weight of roof, it has simply twisted has the timber has seasoned and dried out. Therefore nothing to be concerned about.
Thanks, HB. I like this idea. With a seemingly identical roof, does your roof have the strapping to the gable end(s)?

Yes just looks like a bit of bowing that's occurred over it's lifespan, millions of older houses are built to lesser structural integrity than would be required nowadays.

I'll see if I can get over there and grab another image square on from the front. Thank you.

Thanks, HB. I like this idea. With a seemingly identical roof, does your roof have the strapping to the gable end(s)?
None that I am aware of, or can see.

Yes just looks like a bit of bowing that's occurred over it's lifespan, millions of older houses are built to lesser structural integrity than would be required nowadays.

I suspect that they would not build to that same design, because the large dimensions of the timber, plus the length, would make it far too expensive. The sheer weight of that beam, would make them difficult to manhandle, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back