re-roof commments please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
calling all roofers, i would really appreciate your comments about my roof.

The ridge piece has broken at least 20 years ago see sag
The tall stack on the front view is mine and is not shared, in my opinion the lead is shot and needs completely replacing.
The front view shows the join to the neighbour (right) I think my house was at one time end terrace and the continuation is a later add on, the floor plans are different, my roof extends beyond the eaves, the neighbor roof does not the gutters are not aligned. Also it seems that my roof is higher and difference is height is taken care of by lead patches on the surface, either way it does not look right, why is it like that ?
At the back you can see a depression where the rear stack has been completely removed. Also follow a line from this depression up to the ridge and there appears to be some distubance causing the slates to lift, this effect is on the front also, why is that ?
on the back several slates are broken and incorrect size replacements.
many straps and missing slate on front.

I need a new roof dont i, not just repairs ???

Sponsored Links
I think you've answered your own question. From what you've written a new roof is needed but prepare to open a can of worms.

Budget for the worst...........sorry.

did you have anything in particular in mind when you mention worms ? I was thinking that if the entire roof is rebuilt, with new ridge, all new leadwork,repointed stack, new gutters, new slates where necessary, felt, battens then there could not be any worms. My main issue is why this "ruckling" near the ridge has occurred and why on the front fall, there is a height difference. When and if I get a few more comments I hope to be able to draw up a definitive contract, ie which slates, which lead grades, which felt etc etc rather than just simply saying quote for a new roof otherwise I am sure i will be quoted for the cheapest possible components and least time intensive labour charges, you only get a new roof once !

Sponsored Links
Hello Dave, first I must confess that I am not in Blackpool I put that up because I am living overseas and do not wish to attract attention. Did you look at the photos in my gallery ? Is it possible to estimate the condition based on those and my concerns ? I think the broken ridge in itself is not a major issue, its a combination of the poor leadwork, broken and missized slates and a dodgy looking joint with the neighbour ? no maintenance for at least 20 years. I think that the serious stuff like the lead and gutters could be done relatively cheaply compared to a new roof but trying to rectify future problems remotely and perhaps as an emergency leaves me open to be taken for a ride which is why i think that a new roof is the better solution.
I am actually 35 mins from you if you are serious about making a quote but be prepared to deal with a nitpicker ! I have other pics in better resolution if required.

When I mention can of worms I refer to all new roof timbers. Serious roof sag could be rotten timbers (worse case scenario) especially if the roof has been leaking for 20 years. Have you inspected the roof space to see if any damage has been done? Is the chimney in good order? Does it need a complete rebuild?
Do you now see what I mean by can of worms?
It's always hard to estimate something until it's completely stripped back.
Don't cha just love old properties ;)

hi,
the loft space has been ripped out and replaced with load bearing joists and boarded out with services. The rafters are good,The purlins are in very good condition no bowing or rot and the wall pockets have been redone so that the purlins sit on engineering bricks or in the case of the removed chimney on a concrete plinth. The ridge is sagging because the ridge piece is split almost completely through, i think the only way to replace this is stripping the roof back. In 20 years I have had no real problems though now I have some slight staining on the bedroom ceiling around the chimney breast. I know from inside the seal on the stack does not look to be in great good condition. The chimney i think will need repointing. I love old houses as well- no really I do !
Anyway why have i got this irregularity on the front pitch join at the neighbour is that a consequence of the ridge break and can i presume a new roof will correct this ie seamless slate join with the neighbour ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back