Roof Tiles - no membrane or roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at purchasing a house (a 1930's house). I was up in the attic to see the storage up there and noticed that it had insulation on the floor (to stop heat escaping up into roof) but the tiles were visible. No roofing felt or sheet membranes or anything.

I thought the roof would need a waterproof membrane or roof felt as a cracked tile is just going to let water in.

is this something I should get the previous home owner to do prior to me purchasing the house or is it a cheap/quick job?

Regards,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it worth putting a membrane/roof felt in. There is a partial loft conversion up there with under eave storage. I'd assume without the felt it'll be a cold attic conversion and wasteful on energy isn't it?

When we saw the house the heating was off. Would the attic be cold regardless and therefore quite chilly as a bedroom.

Peter

The lack of membrane will have very little impact on the temperature. There is no need for (or even way) of fitting a membrane properly without taking all the tiles off. If the roof is leaking the it needs to be replaced, a membrane should only ever be considered to be a back-up. If tiles are cracking or failing on a regular basis that is a sure sign the roof is nearing the end of its lifespan.

If it is an old or crap conversion then the insulation will probably be pathetic if any and needs upgrading.

As mentioned there are millions of houses with no membrane/felt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back