Roof timber deterioration (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I live in a 1920s terraced house with a loft conversion. Inside the front eaves space, which is used for storage, there is a crossbeam running the whole width of the house about 3ft above the loft floor level.

I have noticed growing patches of light dusty wood on the beam, and splits along its centre that are slowly growing in number and now run almost the whole length of the beam.

There are no obvious signs of instability or movement anywhere, but it is a concern. Any insight into what this issue is, and how serious it might be, would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240102_174125.jpg
    20240102_174125.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240102_174111.jpg
    20240102_174111.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Hi - I live in a 1920s terraced house with a loft conversion. Inside the front eaves space, which is used for storage, there is a crossbeam running the whole width of the house about 3ft above the loft floor level.

I have noticed growing patches of light dusty wood on the beam, and splits along its centre that are slowly growing in number and now run almost the whole length of the beam.

There are no obvious signs of instability or movement anywhere, but it is a concern. Any insight into what this issue is, and how serious it might be, would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240102_174111.jpg
    20240102_174111.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240102_174125.jpg
    20240102_174125.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 43
If the loft conversion structure was calculated by a structural engineer, I wouldn't worry.
The vertical structure that you can see in your pictures should take the roof load off that beam which I suppose has been left in place because it's hidden inside the eaves cabinets.
Can't really see what the white spots are, never seen such thing.
Is it damp in there?

Looks like the old purlin has been incorporated in the new ashlar wall, so it won't be a problem.
Those spot will be remnants of the original roof torching.

Sponsored Links
If the loft conversion structure was calculated by a structural engineer, I wouldn't worry.
The vertical structure that you can see in your pictures should take the roof load off that beam which I suppose has been left in place because it's hidden inside the eaves cabinets.
Can't really see what the white spots are, never seen such thing.
Is it damp in there?
Thanks

No it's not damp, in fact the wood seems very dry. The patches are powdery to touch and have appeared in the last 6-12 months - am slightly concerned they could be insect related and therefore prone to spreading to other rafters...

Looks like the old purlin has been incorporated in the new ashlar wall, so it won't be a problem.
Those spot will be remnants of the original roof torching.
Thanks

The light spots have only appeared in the last 6-12 months and are powdery to touch (we've been in the property 14 yrs). Could they be insect related?

The loft conversion was done 2017.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back