Hipped roof spread and cracked walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently decided to investigate some cracks in the plaster upstairs in my house and discovered a rather alarming problem.
It appears my roof has spread causing the hipped side ( the side which runs parallel to the purlins) to push the top of the wall out.
This has happened along a stretch of around 5m 7 courses down from the timber that's holding the rafters. All the birds mouths appear attached to the wall plate ( not sure that's the right term for it) but the plate has slipped half off the inner skin and moved the inner skin out by around 10mm.

Having looked in my neighbours loft he has purlins that run at 90 to the main ones tied into the original roof ones, unfortunately the previous owner of my house removed these to do a half a**ed loft conversion some 15 years ago and has boarded the entire area which I think is the only thing now retaining that bit of roof.

My question is, I have enough room to lower the ceilings a fair bit so would adding some purlins at 90 to the originals underneath tied into the rafters along with putting noggins between be good enough to retain the now slowly moving roof.

This side of the house has the stair case running up the damaged wall so I was wondering if some lateral restraint could be added over the stair well to another wall to essentially box it all in and make it one solid lump rather that the flexible mess I currently have. I can afford to loose 50/60mm off the width so maybe something running full height of the wall then insulated and plasterboarded

I know a structural engineer needs to be consulted I just want to get an idea of a plan before booking People in and making a t*t of myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ted

Sponsored Links
wall ties, the rods that go from one side of a house to the other, use some to pull the roof timbers back together?

Hi
I managed to get it to pull back
Put an acro under the ridge and made some pullers ( I'm a steel fabricator) that I attached to each rafter and pulled back 10mm at a time.
Wall plate is now on the wall and the wall is straight(ish) going to inject some resin and bar into the cracks and get on with triangulating the whole lot so it doesn't do it again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back