Roof undercloak - what exactly is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading and looking at pics this morning and I'm still not clear. Sorry to be so thick!

Would someone mind explaining in basic terms what an undercloak is, or better still linking me to a good photo or diagram?

Even better still, here's a photo of my house... If anyone can explain what part the undercloak is or edit the photo to show me, that would be amazingly helpful.

Many thanks

14 Undercloak.JPG

14a Undercloak Close Up.JPG

Sponsored Links
It’s the thin strip under the mortar/ontop of the fascia.

F7B9EEE9-2319-4733-AE7C-A776775EEBA2.jpeg

Perfect, thanks Ian.

So what's the name of the part above the undercloak but below the tiles? Up until now I thought that was the undercloak so I'm glad I asked!

Mortar? Maybe they call both bits together the undercloak but google just shows the thin stuff:

19574614-9D97-4CFB-9466-C547863255FC.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's all really helpful. I thought the mortar/verge was the undercloak! I'm going to get some bits tested for asbestos in the house and thought I might as well get this done as well. It's only an extra fiver, so worth doing now I think for if/when work needs to be done. At least the correct part will be tested now!!!

Here's what the actual survey said:

"The concrete tiles have a cement pointed undercloak to gable ends. The undercloak is a cement board which may contain asbestos. The cement pointing is cracked and porous. You should carry out repairs soon. If you delay, the risk of timber decay and slipped tiles will increase."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back