Roof Ventilation / vapour barrier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

A garage conversion to a kitchen (22.5' single storey lean to roof) which currently has an un-insulated roof, walls and floor with a traditional non breathable sarking felt underlay below the tiles.

My query is with the roof. If i provide c250mm of insulation at ceiling level, I will also have to provide ventilation above.

Question 1 - Is this avoidable with the use of vapour barriers at ceiling level? or any other way?

Question 2 - If it is unavoidable, how is ventilation provided as an after thought i.e. on a finished structure? is it just a case of ensuring there is space at the eaves and changing the fasica/soffit boards and installing vents?

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
vent tile terminals are an option.

using a vapour check plasterboard i.e. duplex or foil backed can help reduce but not entirely eliminate moisture.

Thanks for the response.

so realistically it would be best to use vapour barrier at ceiling position as well as vent tile terminals/eaves vents.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back