Roof ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a 1930s bungalow that we bought back in August last year. Ever since we moved in, I've been concerned at a lack of ventilation in the loft. Having now done some research, I've discovered what the roof construction is. It is close boarded with clay tiles on top. There doesn't appear to be any felt on top of the close boarding, but it is difficult to tell.

The question is ultimately, do I need to improve the ventilation in the loft space at all? Clearly, adding ventilated tiles would be quite a job with the close boarding, and would it really be worth it? The other option I was considering was soffit vents, but having had them tested, I've discovered that the soffits are made of asbestos cement board.

The other problem that we have is that there are no extractors in the bathrooms or in the kitchen. We've survived this winter by opening windows, but I'd rather fit extractors. The two options are through the soffit or through roof tiles. I can do the fitting of the extractors myself, but as for the soffit/roof vents, which would be the cheapest/easiest/best option?

Thanks

Guyan[/b]

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to fit the soffit vents on the fascia board under the gutter to stop the rain getting in?

The best air flow circulation in roof is from the bottom to top so you can fit ridge tiles vent at the top. You could even fit the extractor hose clipped to the rafters to ridge tile vent if the fan is powerful enough unless there is a ridge tiles close to the extractor. You can fit a roof tiles vents but will have to cut a hole in the board. Is there any walls to put in an air brick vents?

Thanks, for the idea, masona. I hadn't thought of putting them there. I'll look into that.

I can't run an extractor hose to the ridge because the upstairs fills the whole of the loft space with the exception of some space around the edges. I could go through the wall from the downstairs bathroom, but the upstairs shower room is in the loft space already and the cooker is sited in an old inglenook fireplace away from the external wall. The chimney goes straight upwards into the loft, where it stops so this is where I would run the extractor hose from. It looks like roof tiles may be the best idea.

Thanks

Guyan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back